Saturday, July 4, 2015

WIAFK (CB) - Skate with Brown Butter and Capers



Happy 4th of July to my US readers!

Today is an auspicious occasion  of a different kind - it is the inaugural Weekend in a French Kitchen (Café Boulud Cookbook) post. Weekend in a French Kitchen is a new cooking group started by Christy, Tammy, Alice and Emily to cook through two cookbooks - the Café Boulud Cookbook by Daniel Boulud and Dorie Greenspan on Saturdays, and A Kitchen in France by Mimi Thorisson on Sundays.

I have decided just to cook from the Café Boulud Cookbook because I don't think I have room for more than one extra group post in a week.  My decision on which book to pick was made by the fact that our beloved Dorie Greenspan co-wrote the Café Boulud Cookbook book (I had never heard of Daniel before).

Our first recipe from the Café Boulud Cookbook is Skate with Brown Butter and Capers.  Skate seems to be a rare commodity here, because on this, the second occasion when I have tried to buy it, I once again drew a blank.  I asked the fishmonger what he thought would be a good substitute, and he suggested blue eye trevalla - so that it what I bought.

Once you have the fish, the rest is a breeze - the fish is lightly poached and served with a delicious garlic and caper browned butter sauce, and boiled cubes of potato.

I really enjoyed this subtle but perfect dish - and because it is easy to make, it would be a recipe I'd repeat again.

To see what the other CBCB cooks thought of this dish, visit the LYL section of the WIAFK (CB) website.

8 comments:

Kayte said...

Looks really good...I know because I made it and it was really good. :-) Happy to be cooking with you in another group...I think that makes about a half dozen here and there over the years. I can't remember when I didn't know you in the blog world it's been so long! :-) I like that you always give us silverware to use in the photo, I never remember to do that, honestly everyone probably thinks we eat with nothing but our hands over here...lol! It looks like I could just sit down and start eating with the way you posted this picture, a happy thought indeed. xo

Peggy said...

I am so excited about this group! I thought this was a delicious way to start off. I'm glad you liked it too.

Camilla M. Mann said...

What a delicious dish! Nice to meet you.

Cakelaw said...

LOL! I hadn't even thought about the absence of cutlery in your photo.

Joan said...

You just taught me about another fish I've never heard of, eye trevalla. Your finished dish looks wonderful. I had to use flounder since no skate in my little town either. Loving this adventure.

Christy @ Confessions of a Culinary Diva said...

Blue Eye Trevalla? Wow, that sounds interesting! Bet I can't find that one in Palm Springs. Sounds like an ideal substitute.

So glad you are joining us and are now going to be exposed to Daniel Boulud - he is one of my favorite chefs! Hope all is well with you and your family :)

Tammy said...

So glad you are joining in with us! We're going to have so much fun and even more good food! I have never heard of the Blue Eye Trevalla ... I'll have to read up on it!

Arisuchan said...

oh you are totally going to love Daniel! :) I'm so glad you are going to join us!