Monday, July 20, 2015

Curry Noodles with Tofu and Coconut



I recently bought tofu for part of a recipe that I never made, leaving me with the  dilemma of what to do with the tofu before it expired.  I initially considered making a chocolate date and tofu cake that I had made years ago for a person at work with very specific dietary restraints.  However, remembering the people who recoiled in horror from the tofu cake, I decided to dig deeper.  And lo, I happened upon this recipe for Curry Noodles with Shrimp and Coconut in The New York Times.  The author helpfully suggests at the start of the recipe that you can substitute the shrimp (prawns in Oz) for, among other things, tofu.  Bingo!  I also had some coconut milk that needed to be used up, so I had found the ideal recipe to use up some odds and ends in my fridge.

I didn't bother with the herb garnish on my dish, as they did in the lovely photograph accompanying the newspaper recipe, because herbs are way too expensive to use just for show.  Regardless of my dish not being as pretty as the one in the newspaper, it was very tasty - I mean curry and coconut - how can you lose?  I was lucky in that I had the spices needed to make this recipe in my pantry cupboard, ready to roll, as spices aren't cheap either.

If you are a fan of coconut or curry, or even better, coconut curries, this is the dish for you.

3 comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

That looks really good! I don't mind tofu in sweet or savoury and it makes a great cheesecake albeit very light! :D

Kayte said...

I am, I am a fan of all of those ingredients! It looks absolutely fantastic to me. I love searching through my ingredients and then trying to figure out what to make with them, you chose well here! :-)

Kari said...

I like tofu in many forms but would take this over the cake despite my sweet tooth :) That's a long winded way of saying it looks great! The ingredient list of the original recipe is impressively herbed / spiced so you did well to match what it needed in your cupboards.