Monday, July 6, 2015

Ginger Cake with Lemon and Pistachio Icing

 



Last weekend, there was a lovely looking cake by Neil Perry called Ginger Cake with Lemon and Pistachio Icing in the newspaper.  I tore the recipe out and had the pleasure of making it a few days ago.



Here is the recipe online.  Other readers have only given it three stars, but I don't know why - I thought it was a beautiful cake, and so did my colleagues.  It has a distinct ginger flavour, and the tangy icing tastes like cream cheese icing, even though it is not.



I made some changes to the recipe necessitated by the ingredients I had on hand.  Instead of 100g of grated ginger, I used a tablespoon of grated fresh ginger and a teaspoon of ground ginger.  Instead of a cup of golden syrup, I used half and half golden syrup and honey.  But otherwise, I made the recipe as stated, and loved it.  Definitely a winner in my books.

4 comments:

Kayte said...

That is a beautiful looking cake. At first I thought the pistachios were flower petals scattered on the top they look so pretty. I like the sounds of all the flavors in this cake. I wish I lived close enough to be your taste tester...lol!

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Mmmm...your cake looks so moist and dense! Perfect in my book!!

Johanna GGG said...

The cake looks really pretty - ginger and lemon is a great traditional flavour pairing that makes me think of cough and cold remedies so I am sure the cake is good for you :-)

Kari said...

Sounds delicious! A perfect winter cake too :)