Saturday, July 11, 2015

WIAFK (CB) - Chilled Spring Pea Soup



For Weekend in a French Kitchen (Cafe Boulud) this week, our recipe is Chilled Spring Pea Soup.  My book finally arrived this week (an autographed copy that someone put into the second-hand bookshop!), but you can also find the recipe online here.

The words chilled + pea + soup individually and combined sprang a little "urrgghh" into my consciousness, but I made the soup in case I was surprised (because sometimes I am).  Unfortunately, on this occasion, I was not.  I was not fond of the chilly pea-ey-ness of this soup, and I found that I needed to add a significant amount more liquid than stated in the recipe to get soup rather than puree.

This won't be a repeat for me, but I have seen from the forums that some gals loved it.  And that's the wonder of diversity - there is something for all of us.

To see what the other WIAFK cooks thought of this dish, visit the LYL section of the WIAFK website.

8 comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I wonder if it would be better hot as it's so cold here? I love hot soup when the weather is cold.

Johanna GGG said...

I think I could come at chilled soup easier when the weather is really hot but right now I don't think I would be able to face it. Though I do love peas so in summer this might be my thing.

Kayte said...

Oh, I guess you didn't like the soup? lol But I have to say you are the best team player ever as you always make things just to be sure! Like you said, different boats for different folks, maybe the next one you will like better as I know you like pasta and I know you secretly miss cooking in the Hazan pasta group with me, lol! Kudos to you for giving it a go. And, don't you know, I loved it! :-)

Christy @ Confessions of a Culinary Diva said...

So true - diversity is the great thing about life. Sorry you didn't like this better, but how fortunate to get an autographed copy! We've had such hot weather in Palm Springs I think we always enjoy meals that can be served cold. Hope you are well!

Tammy said...

So sorry you didn't like it, but you're right, no one is going to like every recipe. I know that *I* won't!! Great effort for trying, though!

Cindy said...

I totally appreciate your honesty! I didn't expect to like this one much either, but was pleasantly surprised.

Camilla M. Mann said...

I enjoyed it. We brought some to my parents and my mom heated it. She doesn't like chilled soup. Sorry you didn't care for the recipe, but I'm glad you're joining us.

Arisuchan said...

Glad you tried it though Gaye! :) How lucky that you got a signed copy!