Sunday, July 8, 2018

Sweet Potato, Mince and Pasta Bake



In my quest for the perfect lunch dish, I recently found a recipe for Sweet Potato and Mince Pasta Bake published in the Australian Women's Weekly featured in an advertisement for sweet potatoes.  I liked the sound of the ingredients, which included both meat and vegetables.

I made some changes to the recipe  that were mostly accidental.  I used fusilli rather than penne because that is what I found at my supermarket.  I left out the spinach because I forgot to buy it, and the pine nuts because I couldn't find them in my pantry cupboard.

I recommend using a food processor to grate the vegetables as this will save you a lot of time and grief. 

This is a really hearty, warming winter lunch, and I would happily make it again.  

If you think that you'd like to make this dish (my version), you will need:

  • 350g dried pasta
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 chopped onion
  • 2 cloves crushed garlic
  • 500g beef mince
  • 400g sweet potato, peeled, coarsely grated
  • 1 small zucchini, coarsely grated
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 400g can diced tomatoes
  • 1 cup  beef stock
  • 4 sprigs thyme
  • 100g ricotta
  • 1/2 cup grated cheese

Preheat your oven to 220°C.

Cook the pasta according to packet instructions.

Heat the oil in a frypan and cook  the onion and garlic until softened. Add the mince and cook until browned. Add the sweet potato and zucchini and cook until softened slightly.  

Add the tomato paste, tomatoes, stock and thyme, then simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes until thickened slightly.

Combine the pasta and the sweet potato mixture in a large ovenproof dish. Crumble over the ricotta, and sprinkle with grated cheese. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden.

Remove from the oven and serve with a garden salad. 




1 comment:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Looks like a really versatile and tasty meal that would suit a lunchbox well! :D