Friday, July 6, 2018

Chocolate Licorice Loaf Cake


Are you a licorice lover? And if yes, do you like all kinds of licorice or just certain kinds? I like most licorice except the Dutch salted stuff, but funnily enough I hate all other black lollies, including black jelly beans.

In The Age recently, they published this recipe for Chocolate Licorice Loaf Cake.



This cake was absolutely delicious, and it even received a tick of approval from my Pilates instructor, who does not like licorice! Melting the licorice was kind of gross, as the result looked like melted down car tyres, but trust the recipe - it works. I used Darrell Lea soft black licorice to make the cake. My licorice didn’t not melt down completely and I think that’s OK. I actually liked the soft chunks of licorice that remained in the cake.

I didn’t bother without the caramel sauce or extra garnish of licorice on top of my cake - I think it was perfect as is. But by all means, if you prefer, you can go the full McCoy, like the recipe.

If you are a licorice lover (or even if you are not!), I highly recommend making this delicious cake.

5 comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

hehe snap for licorice loaves! I have been gradually trying to love licorice and I think I do now! :D

Pam said...

Oh, interesting and unique! I don't care for licorice, but many in the family do and they would like this cake I bet! Thanks!

Kari said...

Wonderful! I've made a liquorice cake before and loved it but think adding chocolate would be a bonus. And I agree - liquorice doesn't melt fully in my experience!

Johanna GGG said...

OMG that looks amazing - I loved bullets as a kid and I think I am in love with this cake even though I haven't made it yet - the car tyres analogy makes me laugh because liquorice is a bit rubbery

Kayte said...

Oh, I love licorice...not the salted kind really, but the others. You find the most interesting cakes to make, who would think of putting this in a cake??? I wonder if I could have it in a cake without the chocolate part? Oh that sounds good. You have done it again, amazed me with the creativity of the recipes you find to bake up. Such a star.