Sunday, July 29, 2018

Blueberry Pie Muffin Cake with Lemon Glaze


 
I bought canned blueberry pie filling on sale at my supermarket thinking it would be a cheap way to make a blueberry pie.  However, when I opened the can, I was less than enthused by the claggy, sickly sweet contents.  I thought that there was no way I was making that stuff the feature in a pie, so I searched the Internet for recipes where I could use it in a less intense fashion.  (I still have one can left.)

I found a great recipe for a Blueberry Pie Muffin Bread with Lemon Glaze at The Recipe Critic. Perfect!  To avoid confusion, this recipe is for a cake, not a yeasted bread.



I really enjoyed this cake.  My favourite part is the lovely crusty streusel topping.  It really made this cake.   The claggy blueberry pie filling was distributed throughout the cake, which diluted its sweetness and gooeyness.

If you would like to try this cake, you will need:

2 1/3 cups plain flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
pinch of salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup milk
1 x 21 ounce can blueberry pie filling

Topping

1/4 cup cubed cold butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup plain flour

Icing

1 cup icing sugar
2 tablespoons cream
1 tablespoon lemon juice

Preheat the oven to 380 degrees Celsius. Grease and line a 9" x 5" inch loaf tin.

Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.

In a large bowl, add the sugar and vegetable oil and beat together. Add the egg, milk and vanilla, and beat together until smooth. Fold in the dry ingredients.

Add the canned pie filling to the bowl and swirl in gently with a rubber spatula to create a marbled effect. Scrape the batter into the prepared loaf tin and level the top.

To make the topping, combine butter, flour, and brown sugar in a bowl and use a pastry blender or the tips of your fingers to form crumbs. Sprinkle the  top of the cake batter evenly with the crumb topping.

Bake for 50-60 minutes in the preheated oven or until cooked through.  Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for around 15 minutes. Unmould the cake onto a wire rack to cool completely.

To make the icing, whisk together the icing sugar, cream, and lemon juice, then drizzle on top of the cake.

Slice and enjoy!


6 comments:

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

I feel the same way about those canned pie fillings, but this loaf cake looks terrific!!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I remember once being given a can of that filling and it was not great at all. There was also way too much liquid for a pie filling.

Pam said...

Oh my, I love anything blueberries and this looks/sounds great! I know what you mean about the canned pie filling though. Thanks for the recipe!

Johanna GGG said...

sounds like a great way of using pie filling - no wonder it was on special. Would it be ok in smoothies?

Cakelaw said...

I think it would be too claggy for a smoothie - I would not be game to try it.

2paw said...

I made a muffin loaf, or bread last year, but I can’t remember whether I liked it or not! I am sad your blueberries were claggy, but the loaf looks yummy. I like streusel toppings too.