Thursday, August 2, 2018

Habanero Chilli Carrot Cake


The days may be getting longer in Melbourne, but they are still chilly on the weather front, reminding us that winter is not over yet.  On a cold winter's day, what could be better than something a little hot and spicy to make you warm on the inside?  That's what I thought too, so when I saw the recipe for Habanero Chilli Carrot Cake in Libbie Summers' Sweet and Vicious, I knew I had to make it.


Unbeknownst to me at the time, habanero chillies are one of the hottest chillies out there.  If you have family or friends who cannot tolerate chilli, this is not the cake for them.  There is only one dried habanero chilli in this cake, together with some chilli oil (I used Sriracha sauce instead) and cayenne pepper, but boy, it packs a punch, especially on day one.  After the first day, the heat mellows a little, but it is still undoubtedly there. 

Be sure to wash your hands thoroughly after chopping up the chilli, otherwise if you rub your eyes/mouth/nose, you could be in for a nasty surprise.


Don't let the chilli put you off trying this cake.  It is definitely different from your average carrot cake, but surprisingly to me, the people at work  enjoyed it.  It is a very moist cake - I would maybe prefer it to be not so moist, but that can be remedied with extra baking time.  And of course, who could resist the cream cheese frosting studded with hot spiced pecans (with the cayenne pepper providing the heat). 

For those who like it hot, this could be the perfect cake.  If you are game enough to give it a go, you can find the recipe online here.

6 comments:

Johanna GGG said...

Sounds a bit too spicy for me but I know plenty of people would love it - and i think the idea is interesting - glad it went down well at work.

Pam said...

Sounds like a really delicious version of carrot cake, unique for sure, and that great frosting is icing on the cake!

Amy (Savory Moments) said...

Wow! What an interesting variation on carrot cake! Very creative and intriguing.

Mae Travels said...

Quite a few carrot cakes are on the blogs this week. This one is definitely unusual! Years ago, I promised my husband I would never again give him any food with habanero peppers in it. And though I often enjoy spicy food, I'm not fond of high heat in my dessert. So it's not for us, though I find the idea quite intriguing.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Ooh I would love this! I also have a fresh habanero chilli in my fridge too.

2paw said...

Oh, that sounds a little too adventurous for me, I might substitute and ordinary red chilli! But I love the idea and it looks delicious with its cream cheese frosting.