Friday, March 7, 2014

FFWD - Two Tartines from Le Croix Rouge



For this week's French Friday with Dorie, I think it is more descriptive to borrow Trevor's description and tell you that it is "stuff on toast".  There - much easier to conceptualise than "two tartines from Le Croix Rouge", although I don't think Dorie's publishers would have allowed her to call it that.

At the top of this post, we have tartine number one, being the Norwegian one - whole wheat bread sliced thickly, toasted on one side, buttered (I used cream cheese) then topped with smoked salmon slices, capers, lemon, salt and pepper.

I loved this - something to definitely make again.

Tartine number two is the St Germain version - whole wheat bread sliced thickly, toasted on one side,  slathered with mayo, sprinkled with chopped gherkins and topped with thin slices of roast beef, and seasoned with salt and pepper:



Again, this was a winner.  I have negative thoughts about gherkins until I eat them, then I have no idea why I ever thought badly of them.  They are sweet and luscious, and add a nice textural element to this tartine.

There you have it -  stuff on toast two ways. To see what the other Doristas thought, visit the LYL section of the FFWD website.

21 comments:

Mardi Michels said...

"Stuff on toast" indeed ;) I haven't written my post yet - don't have much to say because it really it, well, stuff on toast!

Yours look great!

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

We enjoyed these, too...but Bill had to remove the pickles from his tartine. I happily ate them :)

2paw said...

Stuff on toast is one of my favourite meals!! In fact I limit myself to bread at the weekends otherwise I can just have stuff on toast all week when I am tired. Yes, gherkins are delicious, sweet and pickled and crunchy.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Hehe toast is such a treat for me and I think I'd love these toppings. I am a bit addicted to the crunch and flavour of pickles :)

Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

Haha I like stuff on toast :D
This looks awesome!

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

Ei said...

Looks good! I always opt for dill pickles instead of cornichons, because I don't know how I'd ever use a whole jar of cornichons.

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

Stuff on toast. :) Funny! I am glad you liked these. I am not sure I have ever had gherkins. I guess I will have to try them. :)

Andrea_TheKitchenLioness said...

Very nice looking tartines indeed - I like the different kinds of bread that the Doristas chose for these open-faced sandwiches today - what a fun and easy assignment and one we all seem to have liked!

Unknown said...

I'm glad you enjoyed both of these! I keep wanting to like smoked salmon but I can't. I did enjoy the roast beef one though. Yours look delicious.

yummychunklet said...

Your tartines look fantastic!

Emily said...

Great looking stuff on toast!! Very nice indeed!

Diane Balch said...

Living in the New York area I mostly eat half sour pickles, but I agree gerkins are wonderful and I have neglected them too.

Kathy said...

I actually enjoyed the gherkins…they added a nice layer of flavor to the roast beef. Yours look lovely….glad you enjoyed them! I was grateful for a easy non-recipe this week!

Nana said...

Both tartines look delicious, I enjoyed making and eating both of mine. Hubby doesn't know what he missed. I would like to say how wonderful your
plum tart turned out. Sad to see the end of summer and all the good ripe fruits.

Betsy said...

I love stuff on toast, for breakfast as you had it, or for lunch as I did. Looks delicious. Glad you discovered that gherkins aren't all bad. Have a good weekend.

KarenP said...

Cream cheese was a nice substitution, although I was surprised how much I liked the taste of the butter with the smoked salmon. Your tartines look very tasty!

Cher Rockwell said...

I think it would be fun to have a cookbook with food titled how we really thought of it :-)
I enjoyed the salmon one way more than I thought I would!

Cakelaw said...

You too Betsy

Geri Saucier said...

These tartines look delicious. I made the roast beef one and definitely will make it again:)

Teresa said...

Those look lovely! I'm not a huge pickle fan, either, but the thin slices I used gave a nice acidity and crunch to the roast beef tartine.

Jora said...

I love having easy recipes like this some weeks. "Stuff on toast" is hard to beat...I enjoyed your post about going to high tea. Despite the poor service, it sounds like it was a fun afternoon.