Monday, March 3, 2014

Chocolate and Stout Cake for Peter


Friday was my colleague Peter's last day.  To send him off on a high, I made a Chocolate and Stout Cake using this recipe from the BBC.

Here is the cake fresh out of the oven (you can see that it stuck a little on one edge):


I found that the cake slightly rose above my 9" inch pan, so I recommend using a deep pan or a 10" pan.

The icing was a bit of a nightmare to work with and required much hot water knifing to whip into shape:


I decorated the cake with chocolate rocks and writing icing rather than nuts.

The resulting cake is deep, dark and delicious: 


If you enjoy a rich chocolatey cake that is not overly sweet, this one is for you.

4 comments:

Kari said...

Deep chocolate that isn't too sweet sounds just right for me :)

Johanna GGG said...

looks excellent and I love the chocolate rocks decorations - you could imagine a leprachaun dancing about in the rock ring :-)

~~louise~~ said...

What a delicious way to bid a colleague farewell...I love the notion of the rock chocolate too, very cool...Thank you so much for sharing...I'm sure it's all been devoured!

2paw said...

That looks so rich and delicious. I lie the chocolate rocks too. I think I made Nigella's chocolate stout cake. I hope there was some left over for him to take home.