Tuesday, March 1, 2011

TWD - Chocolate Pots de Creme



This week's Tuesday with Dorie recipe was something I have never heard of before - chocolate pots de creme.  The recipe was chosen by Christine of Black Cat Cooking.  

On the TWD forum, I learned that you can actually buy special pots de creme for this cream based dessert.  They are absolutely gorgeous, and come with their own special tray - but query how often I'd use them.  Instead, I just used ramekins, although I found that the ramekins were rather to large for the quantity of pudding (I quartered the recipe and made 2 pots de creme).

Dorie says to put cling film over the top of the pan while they bake - this was a mistake, as the cling film melted in the oven.  Luckily, it seemed to shrink and curl around the sides of the baking pan rather than melt into the puddings.

The end result was OK, but it didn't set my world on fire.  It was like a chocolate egg custard to my taste, and personally, I prefer vanilla egg custard.

To see what the other TWD bakers thought, visit the LYL section on the webite on Tuesday (US time).

16 comments:

Ivy said...

Gaye, I think it's just a fancy French way of saying custard. I am surprised that someone would use cling film in the oven unless there is a special brand which is heat resistant.

Flourchild said...

Im going to pass on this one..it just didn't excite me! I do love the special pots you mentioned. I checked them out online and your right, they are gorgeous!
Yours looks good to me!

Anonymous said...

Interesting. Why would Dorie suggest putting cling wrap in the oven? Luckily, your pots weren't harmed. Great post!

Juliana said...

Sorry about the incident of the cling film...talking about custard, like you I prefer vanilla too :-) Have a great week ahead!

Gloria Baker said...

I love these chocolate pots! gloria

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

I am glad I read the Ps and Qs this week because of the melting issue. Glad you liked these even if they didn't set your world on fire...I set mine on fire and used my kitchen torch. :)

cocoa and coconut said...

If you hadn't had said that you weren't in love with this recipe I would have never guessed! It looks insanely delicious; the texture with that spoon in it...
I guess I prefer vanilla egg custard too though.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Oh dear! This is killing me. I'm trying not to eat chocolate tonight but you keep tempting me! :P

Hindy said...

Sorry these didn't thrill you. Mine were a much darker colour than yours. Maybe you needed more chocolate.

Valerie Gamine said...

I'm sorry these didn't set your world on fire, but it certainly looks delicious! :D

Jennifer said...

Your pots-de-creme look lovely!!!!!

Valerie Gamine said...

I'm sorry this didn't light you're fire, it certainly looks delicious! :)

Nicole said...

I liked these a lot but they weren't super fancy. I think the special pots would be fun but not necessary. Your ramkins must be really big: mine only fit about 5 ounces.

Tia said...

im a vanilla person too - so i did white choc!
Buttercreambarbie

Elaine said...

Oh, wow. I have never heard of putting the cling wrap on something and then put in the oven...must be a misprint! The cling wrap usually is put on a pudding or custard to keep a film from forming when you put it in the fridge to cool...I'm so glad that your pots didn't catch on fire! It looks so creamy.

Kayte said...

Looks cute in it's little ramekin pot! I saw those special pots on the site as well and they are so pretty, but so expensive!! Fun to see them, though. Guys loved this, I will make it again for them. I would like to try some of the other flavors.