Sunday, March 27, 2011

Daring Bakers - Yeasted Meringue Coffee Cake






It's March Daring Bakers reveal day, and I know that you have been waiting  for it.  So, without further ado:

The March 2011 Daring Baker’s Challenge was hosted by Ria of Ria’s Collection and Jamie of Life’s a Feast. Ria and Jamie challenged The Daring Bakers to bake a yeasted Meringue Coffee Cake. 

It comprises a bread dough filled with a meringue and your choice of additional filling which can be sweet or savoury.  As our hosts described it as:

A gorgeous brioche-like dough is rolled jellyroll style around a whipped meringue and whatever filling you choose, shaped into a wreath and baked.

This recipe is quite unusual - I would never have thought of filling a bread with meringue.  In the baked bread, the meringue seems to melt into the dough, so that it adds flavour, but is not otherwise evident in the finished product.

I had picked up some sugar plums at the supermarket out of curiosity (heck, who hasn't wanted to taste a sugar plum?), so I chose to use those in the filling with a sprinkling of cinnamon:




Here is a peek inside my bread:




This bread was pleasant, but not my kettle of fish - I am not a bread girl in general.  They ate it at work, so I can only assume it tasted ok (although I note that it did not disappear as quickly as some other things).

Thanks to Ria and Jamie for hosting us this month.  You can check out the amazing variety of yeasted meringue coffee cakes by visiting The Daring Bakers Blogroll.

12 comments:

Ivy said...

I have never heard of this bread which is filled with meringue but sounds interesting.

shelley c. said...

Sugar plums sound like a great filling for this bread! Glad you gave the challenge a go even though you aren't a real bread person. Great job!

. said...

I like your filling idea with the plums.

Kayte said...

Sounds interesting to me...I haven't seen the fillings like this before. The outside looks very nice. I would love to try a piece! Not a bread person??? Not a bread person??? Not a bread person??? lol I can't imagine.

cocoa and coconut said...

I'm not much of a bread girl either, but I must admit, the idea of filling bread with your own choice of ingredients is exciting. Nice job!

Anonymous said...

Sugar plums! Ah, it reminds me of Christmas. Your bread looks yummy, and I like the slits that you made in your dough.

natalia said...

Ciao ! I'm sorry it wasn't for you ! I would have eaten all of it ! It's gorgeous !

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

That looks great Cakelaw! And I remember being surprised at filling it with meringue too. Perhaps I'll give this a go a little later when I have more time :)

Sheena said...

Sugar plums sound like a lovely filling for the bread. I think being a bread person, I really enjoyed the cake a lot more, but good to see your cake still turned out beautifully.

Unknown said...

I'm curious about how the sugar plum filling turned out! I haven't had sugar plums before but, like you, have always wanted to try them. It looks like it came out great even if your co-workers didn't gobble it down too quickly.

Johanna GGG said...

mmm plums in yeasted sweet bread sounds delicious

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

Think that's an excellent filling to use. Great looking wreath too.