Friday, March 4, 2011

FFwD - Savoury Cheese and Chives Bread



I have mentioned before that one of the best things about being a member of cooking groups is that it motivates me to try things that I otherwise would not.  French Fridays with Dorie is no exception.  

This week's recipe is savoury cheese and chives bread.  Having eaten some absolutely feral savoury muffins in the past, I was rather hesitant about trying this recipe.  However, I needn't have worried - this savoury "bread" (actually, more of a cake, as it is unyeasted)   is absolutely delicious.  As well as grated cheese, there are cubes of cheese studded throughout the bread, giving each bite a cheesy burst, and the chives and walnuts add flavour and texture.

I enjoyed this so much that I am eager to try this again using Dorie's "bon idee" - bacon and cheese and dried pears, which sounds devine.

To see what the other FFwD members though of this bread, visit the LYL section of the FFwD website for this week.

22 comments:

Finla said...

Wowo indeed look savoury and super yumm.

Cher Rockwell said...

Agreed - I was a little nervous about this one, but with all that cheese, figured it couldn't go too wrong...

The Blonde Duck said...

Cheese and bread? Yum!

Anonymous said...

Your (cake) bread looks delicious! I'm making this tonight as a traveling snack for my family. I hope it turns out good for me!

Missy said...

one word: yummy! lol looks great.

peace
Missy
http://throughanindielens.blogspot.com/

Johanna GGG said...

how funny that you were hesitant to try it - I was so excited when I saw the name of it - I love savoury muffins - agree there are feral ones out there but I have had my fair share of horrid sweet ones too - but this looks great

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

That looks just packed full of flavours and "bits"! :D

Hindy said...

This looks delicious. I'll have to try it.

Unknown said...

I bet this would make the most awesome tomato sandwich in the whole wide world!
*kisses* HH

Lauren Hairston said...

Oh my goodness, this sounds absolutely delicious. Yum yum!

Merut said...

Cheese and chives are an excellent combination, especially in bread form. Brilliant! I love cooking groups too, as they make me step outside of my comfort zone. Looks good!

Sara said...

Looks gorgeous! Definitely do try the bacon version sometime, it's lovely! :)

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Wasn't this wonderful surprise? I'm glad you liked it, too~

Anonymous said...

Yours looks beautiful. I'm looking forward to trying some of Dorie's variations for this recipe, too.

Elaine said...

I wanted to try making this with the dried pears because it sounded so good to me, but not to my husband. Your bread looks so good!

My goodness, Cakelaw, you are cooking and baking up a storm. I can't keep uo with you! ;)

Trevor Sis Boom said...

Your use of the word "feral" to describe a muffin has endeared you to me even further.

Kris' Kitchen said...

I want to try the one with pears. Your bread is beautiful...looks like it would be perfect on St. Patrick's Day with all the pretty green.

Candy said...

I agree that the bonne idee of using bacon and dried pears sounds fantastic! Your bread looks beautiful and delicious.

tricia s. said...

Nana and I read the title of the recipe and were sold immediately- funny how we all judge a "book by its cover" :) The best part was how crazy easy this was, which was great because I was down to the wire as it was. Next week will be the one we are hesitant to try but that is what keeps FFWD so interesting !

The Caked Crusader said...

cheese and chives? Count me in! I love that combination and your loaf looks gorgeous!

Hazel - Chicken in a Cherry Sauce said...

This looks incredible! Cheese, chives and walnuts... a savoury bread dream!

Kayte said...

I have got to get caught up as I am missing things like this bread!! Yours looks wonderful. I love the color of it all.