Friday, March 25, 2011

FFwD - Scallops with Caramel Orange Sauce


Do you like seafood?  For me, it depends on my mood and how well the seafood is cooked.  I am inexperienced at cooking seafood, so I generally avoid cooking it.   Alas, there was no escape for me this week, as our French Friday with Dorie challenge was  Scallops with Caramel Orange Sauce.  You can find the recipe in the book or here.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find the beautiful large scallops used by Dorie, hence I had to use small frozen New Zealnd scallops from the supermarket.  I think this dish could have been so much better if the scallops that I used were nicer, but you can only use what you can get.

However, the caramel orange sauce itself was gorgeous - just the right blend of sweet and sour.  I think the sauce would work well on white fish or even on chicken breasts.

I served my scallops with bok choy stir fried in soy sauce and asparagus spears baked with a squeeze of lemon and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.  These may have been unusual choices, but I enjoyed them with the scallops.




To see what the other FFwD members thought of this dish, visit this week's LYL section on the FFwD website.

16 comments:

Kayte said...

I was wondering about that sauce on something else as I could not get nice scallops this week, maybe tomorrow since it's Friday, so will check one last time and then I am thinking what else to do with this! Yours look good and I love your side selection!

Anonymous said...

Your whole dinner looks delicious!

Cher Rockwell said...

I like the idea of the bok choy with the scallops. It doesn't sound strange at all. And I think it's almost a rule that you pair asparagus with scallops :-)
The sauce was great with chicken, by the way (I did a chicken breast for my seafood hater).

Kathy said...

Sorry you couldn't get fresh scallops however, yours look very nice. I thought the sauce was wonderful, it added such a nice flavor to the dish. I'm sure it would be great with chicken.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Even with the smaller, frozen scallops they look delicious!

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

I loved the sauce, too...and your sides look just perfect :)

Sarah said...

Yours look wonderful. I'm glad to see that you enjoyed the sauce. Maybe I'll have to give it another try.

Anonymous said...

Sorry you couldn't find the larger scallops, but I bet this sauce would taste great on any scallop. Yours look tasty!

Nutmeg Nanny said...

Sorry you couldn't find fresh scallops. Your little ones look great though. I love how the sauce sounds. Totally delicious.

Gloria Baker said...

I love these too really look nice! gloria

kitchenarian said...

Your sauce looks wonderful! Great post.

Elaine said...

The sea scallops were so very expensive here, but they were meatier than the ones you have, but I am sure the taste was just as good. We also loved the sauce and I know that I will make these again. Your meal looks so good and I like the idea of the bok choy.

Adriana said...

Love your sides! This was such a fantastic and healthy meal.

tricia s. said...

Love the idea of the bok choy - sounds great. I had not cooked scallops before and even buying them was an adventure. (well, for my hubby :) We very much enjoyed the results but I am happy to see other folks used the lovely sauce on shrimp, chicken,fish and other items....which cost much less than the beautiful sea scallops.

Anonymous said...

I think serving the scallops with simply prepared vegetables is an excellent idea. No need to overshadow the subtlety of the sauce. I hope you can try this again some time with larger scallops; they really send the recipe over the top.

Anonymous said...

I love how many of you used asparagus... Now I think my plate needed something green!