Saturday, July 25, 2015

WIAFK (CB) - Mango, Kiwi, and Coconut Custard Tart


Our Weekend in a French Kitchen (Cafe Boulud) recipe is dear to my heart because (a) it is a baking recipe; and (b) it has lots of tropical fruit to remind me of summer (which seems an awfully long way away from here).  Our recipe was a Mango, Kiwi and Coconut Custard Tart. 



This recipe was simple enough to make, but I found the pastry hard to work with and it never worked that well.  At first, I was perplexed, because it seemed to be the same as Dorie Greenspan's fail-safe sweet pastry recipe that I always use.  However, closer inspection revelaed that this pastry used a whole egg instead of just the yolk in my usual recipe,  which made the pastry much wetter and stickier, and it never crisped up like my usual pastry does.  A note was made and a lesson was learned.

Otherwise, this tart was quite delicious - I like coconut and custard, and adore tropical fruits (even canned mango!), so this one would be a winner for me, with a tweak to the pastry recipe.  

To see what the other Weekend in a French Kitchen (Cafe Boulud) cooks thought of this tart, visit the LYL section of the website. 

9 comments:

Johanna GGG said...

the tart looks great and your comments on the pastry is interesting and makes sense of those egg yolks in pastry which always annoy me because I had having egg whites

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

This does sound like a wonderful combination of flavours! I might try to make it with a different crust or with just the yolk :)

Pam said...

This is a great summer treat, it looks delicious. Love all the flavors, esp. coconut!

Kari said...

I love mango and custard too so this sounds wonderful.

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

I've never baked anything with mango or kiwi, but I adore coconut and the tropical trio sounds terrific!

Tammy said...

We loved it, too. Emily made the crust and we were rushing to get it in the oven so we didn't refrigerate it. It was quite wet and she ended up just pressing it into the pan with her hands rather than rolling it. Dorie's crust is my all-time favorite!

Cindy said...

I enjoyed this tart also with it's wonderful flavor combination. I would love to try making it with Dorie's pastry recipe.

Peggy said...

This was delicious! Loved the mix of flavours!

Kayte said...

Yep, tart doughs vary greatly and can send one in a frustrated twitter faster than most anything. This one worked for me but I had it in the frig for quite a while, like a day and a half as things got busy around here...lol. Interesting combination of fruit but I did enjoy it. Yours looks good, I like the way you can see the chunks of fruit in yours. :-)