Thursday, January 27, 2011

Daring Bakers - Biscuit Joconde Imprime/Entremet



I joined the Daring Bakers because I was keen to make fancy desserts - the kind I would never try on my own. Accordingly, I was delighted when I learned that this month's challenge is definitely in the "fancy desserts" category:

The January 2011 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Astheroshe of the blog accro. She chose to challenge everyone to make a Biscuit Joconde Imprime to wrap around an Entremets dessert.

The challenge consisted of making a biscuit joconde imprime (a sponge "printed" with a cigarette paste design). This started in my case with spreading a thin layer of cigarette paste onto a piece of baking paper:


then swirling a design in it with my finger, and covering the paste with a thin layer of sponge. On turning the sponge over, the design is revealed:


This "printed" sponge is then used design-side out to line a ring mould:


You then fill the ring mould with "entremets" or layers of your choice. I chose a strawberry cheesecake, made using this recipe (tinted dark pink for visual effect):


then covered with a layer of lemon mousse, made from this recipe:


I then decorated the dessert by piping whipped cream around the outside, and topping it with a fanned strawberry, as seen at the top of this post.

The bottom layer of the dessert did not set properly, but together, the combination tasted good. I would happily make this again with a different cheesecake recipe.

To see all the wonderful and creative efforts of the other Daring Bakers with this dessert, visit the Daring Bakers blogroll.

25 comments:

Finla said...

They look abssaloutley super yummy and beautiful. Well done.

Anonymous said...

That is a pretty fancy dessert! And, I love the red coloring of the strawberry. Tasty-looking post! Congrats on your "Stylish Blogger Award"!

Kayte said...

This looks so lovely, very special and elegant. Wow, I would love to taste this!

Julia @Mélanger said...

What a wonderful challenge this month. Probably something most people have never made in their home kitchens. Great job!

Gloria Baker said...

Cakelaw look really yummy and delicious, xx gloria
is a nice recipe

Suz said...

Your entremet is so pretty! I love the sliced strawberry on the top. The fillings sound gorgeous too. Strawberry and lemon = YUM!

Unknown said...

This strawberry and lemon dessert looks delicious! I too, am pleased to have made something I would never have attempted myself. Actually to tell the truth, I didn't even know it existed!

Johanna GGG said...

well I suppose congratulations on being a fancy pants are in order :-) looks very professional

Brenda said...

Wow you did such a fabulous job! I tried to make biscuit jaconde once from Adriano Zumbo's Chocolate Mousse Cake from Masterchef.....didn't like anywhere near as good as yours!

Missy said...

WOW how did you make that seem so easy!? lol That sure is talent! It looks amazing! Yumm!

Peace
Missy
http://throughanindielens.blogspot.com/

Ivy said...

Your cake is stunning and it's wonderful how many new techniques you get to learn being a daring baker.

cocoa and coconut said...

Lemon mousse? Yum!
Your presentation is very gorgeous..what a fancy dessert indeed

Steph said...

Love, love, love your blog. So much that I gave you a Stylish Blogger Award via my blog. Congrats!

The Betz Family said...

I never thought about using my finger to create a design. How simple, yet a great technique! Lemon mousse was one of my fillings as well. Nice job on the challenge!

Elaine said...

Strawberry cheesecake and lemon mousse?! Oh, my! What a wonderful combination and so pretty.

Renata said...

Wasn't that a lot of fun! Most of the DBs finished this challenge wanting to do it again! I did too! Your Entremet is gorgeous, I love the colors AND the fillings, strawberry and lemon... yum yum...
Thanks for your lovely comment on mine, I dearly appreciate it!

chef_d said...

Your strawberry cheesecake filling encased in the joconde imprime looks delicious and pretty!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

You did a beautiful job! I love the white swirls on the pink background :D

Mary said...

Strawberry and lemon are so good together, so I can imagine this tasted great, even if the filling didn't quite set. I like the finger painting decoration, and I bet my nephew would love to help me make one!
:)

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

It looks perfect. And the joconde would hide the fact the layer didn't set well. But it must have tatsed pretty good, and that's all that really matters in the end. :)

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

Your entremet looks really good. With those flavours it must have tasted yum.

Barbara Bakes said...

Sounds scrumptious! We used very similar flavors. Love the idea of finger painting your design.

Walnuts and Honey said...

WOW! Very nice! I think you have inspired me to start taking part in the daringbakers challenges.... Too long have i sat back looking at other peoples master peices lol. You should be very proud of yourself. Ive never even heard of this type of cake but it looks great. good work!

Thankyou for sharing. If you have time feel free to drop by my blog. i have pics from the culinary olympics in germany... so inspirational!

Keep blogging and stay cool lol :)

The Caked Crusader said...

Very clever indeed...and very professional looking!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I never knew how something like this was made, so now the mystery is solved! I'm glad it tasted good as well as looking beautiful.