Tuesday, January 11, 2011

TWD - Lemon Curd Filled Chocolate Madeleines


Hello Tuesday! You know what that means - Tuesday with Dorie. This week, it's the turn of the lovely Margot from Efforts to Deliciousness to choose the recipe, and she picked Fluff-Filled Chocolate Madeleines. Do take the time to stop by Margot's blog, and do say hi to Eloise while you are there.

Madeleines were new to me until I started blogging, but I now know that they are elegant little shell-shaped sponge cakes:



Hmmm - luckily for me, I read a lot of blogs and had heard of this mysterious "marshmallow fluff" stuff before, otherwise my mind might have wondered to belly button fluff - and no good can come of that! Marshmallow fluff is not something that is readily available here, so as suggested in Dorie's "Playing Around" section, I filled my madeleines with some of the lemon curd that my brother had bought me from a market during the holidays:


You really can't pipe much filling in before the madeleines start to explode.

The madeleines are finally supposed to be dipped in chocolate ganache. Unfortunately, the supermarket where I bought my supplies were out of fresh cream, so I bought reduced fat canned cream. It worked to make ganache, but the cream had a yoghurty texture, which made very thick ganache. This meant that I had to plaster my ganache on like spack-filler:



My madeleines therefore are not elegant - but they do remind me of The Beatles in their mop top days.

Thanks to Margot for hosting us this week - she will have the recipe, as well as it being in Dorie's book. To check out how the other TWD bakers went, visit the TWD blogroll.

22 comments:

Kayte said...

These gave us girls on Twitter baking them together fits...literally. lol We were all in laughter at the ways ours were turning out, what we could do to fix it, what we could fill them with besides fluff, etc. I can't wait to see what everyone came up with this week because mine fell far short of expectations. Didn't matter to the guys here at all, they ate them with pleasure! Your little Beatles are so cute!

The Blonde Duck said...

HA! They are like the Beatles!

Anonymous said...

Your madeleines look delicious! A lemon curd with chocolate ganache sounds like an interesting combination that I have yet to try. And, I was just thinking about buying a madeleine pan at Sur La Table just the other day...

Gloria Baker said...

Madeleines look absolutely delicious! gloria

adele said...

Beatle madeleines! *chuckle*

I think lemon curd sounds like a much better filling than marshmallow fluff.

(I thought marshmallow fluff sounded appealling when I read about it in a book at age seven or eight - by the time I actually tried it, at age fifteen, I think I was too old for it.)

Johanna GGG said...

marshmallow fluff sounds dodgy to me - lemon curd sounds far more real! And now that you mention it I don't think I have ever had a madelaine despite having a niece of the same name - must make amends

cocoa and coconut said...

I can't even comprehend this recipe..why didn't I think of it before? It's like a dream come true! I'm utterly speechless...

Elaine said...

They do look like the Beatles' mop heads. :) I like the thicker ganache and I love the idea of the lemon curd for the filling.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

You know once upon a time I saw marshmallow fluff at the supermarket but I haven't seen it for ages now that you've mentioned it!

Finla said...

Wowo Double delicious, wish i could grab one with my tea.

Leslie said...

Lemon curd...what a great idea! I also skipped the fluff, and just went with the ganache. Delicious!

chocolatechic said...

Mine weren't very spongy...more dry.

Flourchild said...

Yum yum gotta love these madeleines!! I did a vanilla version!!

blackbookkitchendiaries said...

this does sounds amazing! lemon and chocolate combo is pretty darn good.

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

I just decided to make these, after work, today. I can bring them to my class. I just know, I have to get them out of the house, if I make them.

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

Yummy! I'll take ganache in any form! :)

Mary said...

spack-filler! You are hilarious! They do look like Beatles, so maybe you can auction them off on ebay and make a fortune?
;)
I really wanted to make these, but was sick yet again. I had grand plans for a raspberry jam filling, but now have only another recipe to add to my rewind list.
Oh, and you didn't miss anything by skipping the Fluff: it's one of those toxic American snack foods you have to grow up with to like.

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

Yum! Lemon curd sounds delicious in these. They still look tasty even if they had to be spack filled. :)

margot said...

Thanks for baking with me this week, I love the mop tops! You are probably better off with the pure sugar substance known as marshmallow fluff; I'm glad Dorie listed some good alternatives for people who can't get it or don't like it.

Eloise thanks you for the shout-out!

Cakelaw said...

LOL Mary - hmm, that might be a plan. Ka-ching!

Nichicakes said...

spackled or not that ganache looks yummy!

Jennifer said...

Chocolate and lemon sounds like an interesting combination! I love the lines in your madeleines!