Tuesday, January 25, 2011

TWD - Nutty, Chocolatey, Swirly Sour Cream Bundt Cake


I adore bundt cakes. I love the huge variety of tins that you can buy to make them in all shapes and sizes. I love the infinite variety of flavours and combinations that can be included in bundt cakes. And I love the fact that they don't need any decorations to look spectacular - they are spectacular just as they are.

This week for Tuesday with Dorie, Jennifer of Cooking for Comfort chose another of Dorie's magnificent bundt cake recipes - the Nutty, Chocolatey, Swirly Sour Cream Bundt Cake. This bundt cake comprises a vanilla and orange infused cake, swirled in two places with a chocolate, nut and raisin mixture:




As with most other TWD bakers, I found Dorie's direction to cover over the top swirl (which ends up on the bottom of the cake) with batter a little difficult, and it didn't work that well. On unmoulding the cake, I lost some of that swirl. I also wasn't that keen on the raisins, as they burnt a little where they were exposed to the open top of the cake and the sides of the pan.

However, I overall enjoyed this cake and its complex mix of flavours and textures. I think my work colleagues agreed with me, because the cake disappeared fairly quickly.

Thanks to Jennifer, our host this week - she will have the recipe on her site. To see what the other TWD bakers made of this bundt cake, visit the TWD blogroll.

23 comments:

Kayte said...

Looks nice. I think I am passing on this for this week. My guys are not that fond of cakes and I don't like chocolate, so I could leave it out, but then it wouldn't be that recipe, so what's the point, right? I do like looking at yours, however. I can see your swirl!

Flourchild said...

I love this recipe...have to try her version still..but I love my Grandmas version!

Mary said...

Glad this cake was enjoyed by all! I skipped again, as I'm not a huge bundt cake fan. I am determined to rejoin next week, and am even considering buying a muffin tin, finally.
:)
p.s. do you follow tennis at all? I feel like I've been up at all sorts of odd hours watching the tournament in Melbourne.

Anonymous said...

Your bundt turned out great looking! I hope you enjoyed eating it despite the raisins. If you didn't participate this year, you should definitely think about submitting a bundt cake to The Food Librarian's "I Like Big Bundts" roundup next year! Sounds like you two have something in common.

Jennifer said...

This cake, although temperamental, was a great tasting one. Glad you loved it, too!

Thank you for baking a long with me!

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

Bundt cakes are fantastic aren't they? Bummer that you lost some of the swirl. I thought that was a little difficult too, to cover the swirl.

Pamela said...

I didn't think I would get the second swirl in, but I did. Such a good cake. Glad you enjoyed it, too.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Good job Cakelaw! And I always find that my raisins burn when they're on top (like in raisin bread). I've always wondered how people avoid that!

Tia said...

yummo!!! nice job this week!

Emily said...

Mmm bundt cake. This looks wonderful!

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

Looks wonderful! :)

Jessica said...

Looks wonderful! I had a tough time with the swirl directions too - but yours ended up right in the middle still! I'm glad you liked it!

chocolatechic said...

No raisins for me.

I adored this cake.

Peggy said...

This is a beautiful cake. Wouldn't it be even better sharing with a friend and a cup of coffee? Yum.

Amber Marie said...

This looks great!

Elaine said...

It looks and sounds so good! I really enjoy making bundt cakes, so I will have to try this recipe. I just wanted to let you know that I awarded you a "Stylish Blogger Award' via my blog. :)

Anonymous said...

Delicious looking bundt cake! Love Dorie Greenspan.

Jules Someone said...

I was goofy crazy about my layers so I wouldn't leave an uncovered swirl. The cake was delicious!

Unknown said...

Your bundt cake looks wonderful; I think a lot of us had trouble with the swirl. At least it tastes great to make up for the trouble!

The Blonde Duck said...

You know, I have like nine bundt pans but no Bundt cake?

margot said...

I love Bundts for all the same reasons! This one has disappeared fast and it hasn't even left my home.

Frolicking Night Owl said...

mmmm. that looks & sounds really good. I need to put this cookbook on my wishlist!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm behind on my blog reading! This cake was great, and I bet your coworkers appreciated it!