Friday, May 13, 2011

FFwD - Spinach and bacon quiche



Real men don't eat quiche - or so the saying goes.  I am not a bloke, so I wasn't phased by this week's French Fridays with Dorie recipe being for spinach and bacon quiche.

This quiche is unusual in that it contains more bacon and spinach than cream and eggs.  In fact, there is so little cream/egg mixture that there is barely enough to cover the rest of the filling.


The quiche comprises a tart dough, rolled out to line a pie dish, then partially baked before being filled with steamed spinach, bacon, onion and garlic, then topped by a mixture of cream and eggs and sprinkled with Parmesan before being baked until set.

I used baby spinach; baked the bacon instead of frying it; and used light sour cream instead of heavy cream.  The end result was pretty good to me:




This is perfect picnic or weekend food - it is easily cut into portions and will travel, and tastes good hot or cold.

To check out what all of the other Friday Doristas thought of this  quiche, visit the LYL section of the FFwD website.

10 comments:

Gloria Baker said...

I love quiches Cake law and think look really nice! gloria

Cher Rockwell said...

Glad you enjoyed. I must say - the use of only two eggs threw me for a bit of a loop...

Anonymous said...

Yay! Blogger's working! I really like the look of your quiche. Delicious!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I like the idea that there is more filling than a regular quiche-I love the flavour so that's just to my taste! :D

Anonymous said...

I'm usually neutral about quiche, but that looks nicely browned and delicious!

Elaine said...

What a great idea to sub the heavy cream with sour cream. Your quiche looks wonderful!

Pamela said...

We liked this one, too. I was just happy to finally get a FFwD recipe done and posted!

Adriana said...

Have quiche, will travel... does have a ring to it! Great substitution with the sour cream, I would love the tang against the greens/onions. I'm looking forward to the last of my leftovers!

Nutmeg Nanny said...

Wow! This look delicious! I'm a huge fan of bacon :)

nahidworld said...
This comment has been removed by the author.