Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Lemon, Chia and Ricotta Muffins


In the June/July 2015 edition of Donna Hay magazine, there are a number of great looking muffin recipes.  I decided to make  the Lemon, Ricotta and Chia Muffins from p140.

 They are sunny looking muffins that you could eat glazed or unglazed:


However, most people tell me they like icing, so icing it is:


To make these muffins, you will need:

2 1/2 cups self rising flour
1 cup superfine sugar
2 tablespoons finely grated lemon rind
1/3 cup black chia seeds, plus extra for sprinkling
1 cup ricotta
1 cup plain Greek yoghurt
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup vegetable oil

Icing

1 cup icing sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice

Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius, and grease a 12 hole muffin tin.  (I actually got 18 muffins, so you may need to grease another one.)

Place the flour, sugar, lemon rind and chia seeds in a large bowl and mix to combine.

In a separate bowl mix the ricotta, eggs, vanilla, yoghurt and oil. Add the mixture to the bowl with flour and mix until just combined.

Scoop the mixture into the muffin tin, and bake the muffins for 20-25 minutes or until cooked through.

For the icing, put the sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl and whisk to combine and ice the cooled muffins.

5 comments:

Johanna GGG said...

these sound so beautifully yellow - I think I would enjoy these without icing

Andrea_TheKitchenLioness said...

Gaye, this muffin recipe sounds wonderful - Greek yogurt and ricotta must make them extra moist and the color they have is amazing! I am also intrigued by the addition of the chia seeds!
Great recipe, dear friend!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I love the look of these with the glaze-admittedly I am a total sucker for things with glaze or icing! :D

Kayte said...

Let's see...lemon, ricotta, muffins...who do we know that is thinking "How soon can I make these?" Hands up, hands up...ME! :-) I have not had chia seeds...I cannot keep up on the seed front...at some point I am going to need to figure out seeds and how I can use them but right now it's all a mystery. Maybe I could start with these here. They look lovely with all that drippy icing.

Kari said...

I love how chia stands in for poppy seeds and gives a nice twist to the classic lemon/poppy seed mix!