Sunday, October 11, 2015

Elderflower and Lemon Drizzle Cake - Melbourne Cake Club - Flowers


Last Thursday night saw my third meeting of The Melbourne Cake Club.  Our theme this month was Flowers.

For my contribution, I made an Elderflower and Lemon Drizzle Cake from a recipe I found online here.  Just as the photo of the cake only has two layers, not four, I did likewise. I really enjoyed the subtle flavours of the elderflower cordial and the lemon curd and juice in this cake.  The syrup used to soak the cake while it was still warm added extra flavour and moistness to a delicious, sponge-style cake.  It was the perfect spring cake, in my view. 

The Melbourne Cake Club met at Madame Brussels in Bourke Street, which is kitted out like a lawn tennis club with staff dressed in kind:

 
The floral theme of the interior was a perfect match for our flower-themed cakes:

 
Apart from my contribution, the other cakes were:

Allison's Chocolate Rose Cake with gorgeous sparkly icing:

 
Corinne's Passionfruit Orange Blossom Mint Tea Loaf Cake, complete with passionfruit syrup:

 
Sue's gluten-free orange blossom cake, which was buttery and moist:

 
and our leader, Dalya's, hazelnut and rose cake, with the most delicate rose-flavoured cream on top:

 
Madame Brussels has a very fun drinks menu, with one for guys and one for girls.  From the girl's menu, I chose the very naughty sounding Ginge Minge (Grey goose vodka, ginger and kiwifruit liquors, ginger beer, pear cider):
 

It was a very refreshing drink.

Here's a couple of candid shots of our group eating cake and comparing notes:

 

It was another fun evening at The Melbourne Club.  Next month's theme - Cocktails! 

Level 3, 59 Bourke St
Melbourne VIC 3000
Ph: (03) 9662 2775

5 comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I love the theme of flower cakes! How pretty this one is and I love the idea of the soaking syrup! :D

Beth said...

That's a club I'd love to belong to! Your cake is so pretty, and lemon curd makes everything better!

The Caked Crusader said...

Beautiful looking cakes - I want a piece of all of them!

Kari said...

I love seeing the cakes in your monthly catch ups. They all look delicious and your flowers on top are beautiful.

Kayte said...

Well, this is it...I need to get into a cake club asap!! How much fun is this to see...all those gorgeous cakes and that fun venue and all of you just having a wonderful time, yep, I need a cake club ASAP!!! Melbourne is just too far for me to trek each time. Your cake is just beautiful, I love yellow and flowers and just the vision of it is a treat.