Monday, October 19, 2015

Red Spice Road, Melbourne


For Justine's birthday, we all went to lunch at Red Spice Road.  I have been there a couple of times before, and have even blogged about it here.

As the name suggests, Red Spice Road serves food with Asian flavours.  We were seated with a great view of the kitchen, where you can watch the chefs through the open window:

 
We ordered the Express Lunch Menu with the chicken wing appetizer and three mains for $29.50.  Looking back at my old post, I was surprised by how much the food has changed in five years.  I understand that the lunch menu morphs every two weeks.
 
Our appetizer was chicken wings with soy, sesame and honey:

 
The best way to eat these was with your fingers.  The chicken wings had a lovely salty-sweet flavour.

Next up was my choice of main, the pork belly, apple slaw, chilli caramel and black vinegar:

 
This was a very rich offering, with large chunks of pork belly swimming in a delicious chilli caramel sauce, and served with a sharp, crisp apple slaw to cut through the richness of the meat.  Seriously good, but very filling.

Our second main was wok-tossed red emperor with snowpeas, peanut, turmeric and dill:

 
This bright and colourful dish had just the right amount of heat and won me over as the dish of the day.

Our final choice was beef rending with potato, chilli and coriander:


This curry was delicious, and had a fair bit of heat.  I do love a good curry.

My colleagues raved about the food here, so I was pleased as it was my choice.  I think the food gets better every time I go, and I always eat way too much.

If you love Asian flavours, then consider dropping by Red Spice Road.

27 McKillop St
Melbourne VIC 3000
Phone: (03) 9603 1601

2 comments:

Pam said...

It all looks delicious and the cake below is outstanding! Yum to it all! Sounds like you had a great time celebrating!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

It's always a relief when people like the restaurant that you recommend isn't it! :D The food does look fantastic-I think I could go for a second dinner!