Tuesday, May 3, 2011

TWD - Basic Marbled Loaf Cake


 It's Tuesday, and our Tuesday with Dorie host this week, Carol of  The Bake More, chose Dorie's Basic Marbled Loaf Cake.

It being very soon after Easter, I wasn't in the mood for chocolate, so instead of a chocolate and white version of this cake, I made a rose and white version.  The white is just plain cake; the pink portion is flavoured with rose syrup and coloured with pink food colouring.  I loved the effect of the rose syrup, because it made the pink portion a little chewier and more candy-like than the white portion.



I gave half each of this cake to two friends that I caught up with on Saturday (as I made the cake while watching the Royal Wedding).  However, I did keep the slice shown in the photo for me.

Thanks to our host, Carol, for choosing this week - she will have the recipe.  To see what everyone else did with this cake, visit the LYL section of the  TWD website for this week.

23 comments:

Chaya said...

Mine is supposed to look like yours and it doesn't. I lost my marble.

I think the idea of rose is fantastic and yours is very pretty. Mine is pink from strawberry and a bit of red food coloring (which I never use and shouldn't have) and it did my cake in.

Flourchild said...

It reminds me of spring...I think it may finally be here!!

Anonymous said...

The rose color is so pretty! I'm in the mood for chocolate though, even right after Easter.

The Bake More said...

Lovely color combination. So light and delicate looking. Thanks for baking with me. - Carol

Anonymous said...

Your rose and white version looks sweet and delicious. Great interpretation!

Cindy said...

Looks like the perfect cake to make while watching the Royal Wedding! Such a pretty cake, it whispers 'spring'.

Johanna GGG said...

gorgeous - this cake reminds me of my childhood - now I want to make marbled cake - it is so much fun

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I really like the idea of a rose flavoured cake. They're so pretty and light! :D

chopinandmysaucepan said...

Rose is not quite my favourite flavour but your cake looks great!

Kayte said...

I didn't use dark chocolate either, I used white chocolate and tinted half with food coloring...I will need to try your method sometime. It looks so pretty...just love the colors for this time of year....it's spring here!

Conor @ Hold the Beef said...

I already love it when the different colours in something like this actually taste differnt, but I *really* love the idea of them having different textures too.

Valerie Gamine said...

There is such a thing as too much chocolate. :D Your loaf is beautiful!

Jules Someone said...

What a lovely cake! I've never tried anything with rose in it.

Leslie said...

Rose?!? I am so going to make this!! I have rose syrup in the fridge and we love, love, love rose. Brilliant!

Bella Baker said...

wow, looks gorgeous! What a smartidea to make a rose variety!! It looks so nice and moist!! YUM!

Nicole said...

How pretty! I think I have rose water in the cupboard but I don't think I have used it. I did the chocolate peppermint version.

Pamela said...

The pink looks very pretty! Nice job!

Peggy the Baker said...

Who would have thought?! I just love looking at the variations that the TWD bakers have come up with.

Joy said...

It is pretty - very springy! The flavors sound perfect, too!

miss kate said...

oh rose sounds lovely! *scribbles that down for next time*

margot said...

So pretty in pink! I was looking forward to seeing all the different combinations this week and this is a great one.

natalia said...

Ciao ! I love your rose choice ! Nice idea to remember for the future ! Baci

Judy said...

Such a pretty, delicate-looking cake! I'd love to try all the flavors.