Monday, May 2, 2011

Biggest Loser Chocolate Fudge Cake


I like to experiment with all kinds of cooking and baking, and don't feel the need to follow one particular style or convention.

Although I am not on a diet (see my TWD posts if you don't believe me), I bought The Biggest Loser: Best Recipes from our work bookclub.  Being a baker, I could not resist making the Chocolate Fudge Cake from this book.

The cake is based on egg whites, and does not contain any butter or oil, hence it is very low fat.  However, I also initially found this cake a little dry.  It tasted much better after having been frozen then thawed - it seemed somehow moister.   It is obviously not as tasty or decadent as a regular chocolate cake, but if you are on a low fat diet, it allows you to have your cake and eat it, so to speak.


To make this cake, you will need:
60g dark chocolate, finely chopped
1/4 cup cocoa
1/4 cup boiling water
6 egg whites
3/4 cup sugar
1/ cup plain flour

Preheat your oven to 170 degrees Celsius, and line a 20cm springform pan with baking paper.

Put the chocolate and cocoa into a bowl, and pour over the boiling water, then mix until smooth.

With an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks, then add the sugar slowly while continuing to beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks.  Using a rubber spatula, fold in the chocolate mixture, and finally, fold in the flour.

Pour the cake batter into the lined tin and bake for 45 minutes or until cooked through, and cool the cake in the oven with the door ajar.

I served the cake with raspberry coulis and low fat vanilla icecream.


15 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks tasty, especially with the raspberry coulis and ice cream!

Jennifer said...

YUM! Love the shape of the cake!

Anonymous said...

Ohh love this! Nice to find a good recipe low in calories that can satisfy cravings :) love how you dressed it up with the coulis and low fat ice cream.

natalia said...

Ciao ! I thought the cake was a loser ! It looks as something I could eat, being on a diet !

Emily said...

I think I'd like this. I try to eat "lighter" desserts most of the time, if possible.

Plus it has chocolate.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I have to say that it looks pretty good! I might have to give it a go after the Easter chocolate fest :P

The Caked Crusader said...

Interesting. When you've dressed it up it looks no different to a normal cake. I bet the egg white made it light too

Ivy said...

I also thought that the cake was a loser but it's good to see that the cake is still good and with low calories.

The Blonde Duck said...

I'm surprised the biggest loser cookbook had a cake!

Elaine said...

How interesting that it has no fat. I bet some scoops of vanilla ice cream would be perfect to eat with this, but then, of course, you will have lots of fat and calories. :)

Kelly | Eat Yourself Skinny said...

Oooo this looks soo delicious, I love it! Your blog is really great and so glad to be a new follower! :) http://www.cookskinny.blogspot.com/

Conor @ Hold the Beef said...

Very interesting... I have a friend who is intolerant of saturated fats, so this may be a good one to test out with her. Good to know about the freezing/defrosting trick, and I bet the coulis can sort out any remaining dryness :)

Hazel - Chicken in a Cherry Sauce said...

Perfect for summer - the bikini season! I think I would definitely choose this over a slice of a fat cake during my summer evening...

Anonymous said...

Love the shape of your fudge cake!

Unknown said...

I would love to feature one of my dishes on your site. Im thinking your readers would love my baked chocolate & baileys cheesecake. Please email me contact@chefdine.com.au