Tuesday, August 23, 2022

TWD - Buttermilk Scones


 This week’s Tuesday with Dorie recipe is Buttermilk Scones. As the name suggests, these scones are made with buttermilk rather than straight milk (though I cheated and just used soured milk instead).

This scone recipe is different to what I am used to as it contains egg. This made the scone dough rather sticky, and I had to use more flour than the recipe suggested to get anything resembling a workable dough. I also found that the finished product did not rise like a typical scone, presumably because of the texture of the dough.

The end result was perfectly edible (see photo), but it won’t be my go to scone recipe.

To see what everyone else made this week and what they thought of it, visit the LYL section of the TWD website.


6 comments:

Mardi Michels said...

Same - I tried not to overwork the dough but it was sticky and mine didn't rise properly either. Fine but won't be my go-to either.

Sherry's Pickings said...

buttermilk is great for making scones. I did read that supermarkets are going to stop selling it; just as well i make my own for recipes.

Johanna GGG said...

That's interesting that you thought the egg made it rise less than a regular scone - I made pumpkin scones recently and they also rose less - and they use egg - I thought it was the pineapple I added but I now think the egg made it less regular scone texture!

Is that jam and cheese on your scones - a great combo!

And I agree the new google log in is very annoying compared to the older system!

Anonymous said...

Phew, I’m glad it wasn’t just me!

Cakelaw said...

I do too - I just sour milk with lemon juice.

Cakelaw said...

Yes, jam and cheese - so good. I must try the scones with pineapple, because that sounds good to me.