Thursday, May 3, 2012

Rose's Chocolate Tomato Cake for Sandra



Today is Sandra's birthday.  Sandra is our receptionist and a work friend of mine who is very thoughtful about planning for other people's birthdays, so it is only fitting that she should have a lovely cake for her birthday.

Flicking through Rose Levy Beranbaum's Heavenly Cakes, my attention was caught by a very striking Chocolate Tomato Cake, decorated by wafer candles.  You can find the recipe online here.

Perhaps even more striking than the decoration of this cake was the fact that it contains a tin of tomato soup. Yep, you read correctly - tomato soup.  Rose recommends Campbells brand, as she originally made the cake for Campbells, but I used Heinz Big Red instead.  As Rose had foreshadowed, the soup made the cake a lovely dark chocolate colour:


Once the double layer cake had been ganached to the nines, it was surrounded by "candles" made of chocolate filled wafers (I used Arnotts Fun Sticks) and piped red icing flames:




I have even tried the cake, as I levelled off the bottom cake before filling it - and it is beautifully moist, compliments of the tomato soup.  It is also very chocolatey, despite only containing cocoa powder.

Here's hoping Sandra enjoys it - happy birthday Sandra! 

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful!! I'm sure she'll enjoy it!!

Jill said...

It looks so cute! I bet she loved it. I've heard of cake with tomato soup, but haven't dared to try making one. Glad to hear it's tasty.

Kari said...

I've never heard of this! How interesting - can you taste the tomato?? I suppose I've made chocolate beetroot brownies and apple zucchini muffins, so I shouldn't be too surprised at tomatoes turning up, but it is definitely a new idea to me!

yummychunklet said...

Love the rolled snacks that surround the cake!

Johanna GGG said...

how interesting - I have a recipe for a tomato soup cake without the chocolate but love the idea of adding chocolate to it! and in the frosting too - and with the candles too - and if I counted the candles would they add up to Sandra's age :-)

Cakelaw said...

LOL Johanna, almost double Sandra's age - I used up nearly a full box of sticks on this. I'd love to see your tomato cake recipe - this was a novelty for me.

Finla said...

I have the same book but have to admit i have not looked to this particular recipe, and the tomaot soup sounds fun.
So sweet of you to bake for Sandra, especially as she is so thought full aobut other ppl b'day.

Winnie said...

It looks GREAT
Very unique and very cute - love it!

Cindy said...

Well that's new to me! It looks great, and I'm willing to believe that it tastes great too. :-)

Cathleen said...

Wow, I've NEVER heard of a cake with tomato soup in it. I'm a little intrigued, I've got to say. Looks very good though :)

Lottie @ Lottiesworldofcakes said...

Wow, I have never heard of making a cake with tomato soup! it looks good though!

Kayte said...

This was all very interesting...and I love the look of the cake with those wafer candles, those are so cute!! Who knew tomato soup would ever appear in a cake? Fun, fun, fun. I'm sure she felt very special with your cake to celebrate her day!