Friday, May 4, 2012

FFwD - Almond Dory Meuniere


This week's French Fridays with Dorie is a fishy dish - almond flounder meuniere.  However, I don't think I have ever seen too much flounder around here, so I purchased John Dory fillets - just because they looked nice and were small, as Dorie described her flounder fillets.  This dish comprises fish coated with almond meal and flour on one side, then fried in browned butter.

I didn't make the browned butter - after doing both Baking with Julia recipes for this month on the same day, I could not bear the smell of any more butter, so I skipped it.  I also skipped the toasted almonds and parsley for garnish - I don't have anyone to impress, so I could not think of a good reason why to expend $3 on a bunch of parsley that I would not use.

I served my fish with microwaved sweet potato sprinkled with all purpose seasoning, and baby bok choy stir fried and flavoured with soy sauce, fish sauce and honey.  Delish and reasonably healthy, I thought.

To see what the other FFwD members thought of this dish, visit the LYL section of the FFwD website (which no longer works for me for reasons unbeknown to me - it just doesn't work and there is no Webmaster help available).

13 comments:

Unknown said...

How great that it was both good and healthy!!!

Cher Rockwell said...

Quite a few people are struggling with the LYL section - so you aren't alone :-(

This was interesting. I totally spaced out on the directions and coated both sides of the fish. Sweet potatoes look good!

Blond Duck said...

I've never tried flounder.

Kari said...

I've never had fish prepared this way, but you've used my favourite fish sides :) Sweet potato and bok choi are perfect with fish I think.

Betsy said...

I liked this one too. It was much easier to prepare than I expected. I like your sides.
Sorry to hear the website is causing you issues, but glad you are still cooking along because I enjoy your posts.

Hotly Spiced said...

Good on you for making your own adjustments. What you've done looks very delicious, a lot more healthy without the butter and I'm sure you wouldn't miss $3.00 worth of parsley xx

Elaine said...

I will be happy to post your link for you, Gaye!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Such a lovely, classic French dish! :)

Kathy said...

Your fish looks delicious and the sides you chose were a perfect accompaniment! I could eat sweet potatoes with every meal! Nice job!

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

wow..looks yummy...a must try recipe for me..:)
Tasty Appetite

Rose said...

Your meal looks amazing. I love sweet potatoes and eat them quite often in season. Which of course is the opposite season to yours so it will be a while before they pop up the markets here.

Kayte said...

That looks beautiful...all of it! I have always wanted to taste a John Dory fish...it looks so manageable with that portion size. Great job on this meal, I wish I had been there for it.

yummychunklet said...

I think it was okay to skip the browned butter. I personally think it was there more for color than anything as it still tasted like butter, despite the browning. Great post!