Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Lavendar and Orange Baby Shower Cookies for Caroline


Today we are taking Caroline to lunch as a kind of work baby shower.  Her baby is not due until July, and she will be with us for a few more weeks (if all goes to plan), but we decided to hold her shower now because of the uncertainty of when babies choose to arrive, and because I am imminently going on leave.

To celebrate, I also made some baby shower biscuits.  I have previously made the biscuit  recipe here.  Although these biscuits taste nice, I had the same debacle as I did last time with the dough being very soft, making it hard to work with.  In the future, I will stick to the tried and true Daring Bakers sugar cookies for cut-out cookies. I am pretty sure I could put the same orange and lavendar flavours through the sugar cookies, but have a dough that is not so challenging to work with.

The only changes that made to the biscuit recipe were that I rubbed the orange zest into the sugar to up the orange flavour, and I used the whole egg instead of just the egg yolk. I don't recommend the latter change,  as I had to up the flour significantly to get a dough I could work with at all. (Although even when I made these the way the recipe stated last time, I still had trouble with the softness of the dough, so adding the whole egg was not the sole problem.) 

Instead of the lemon icing from last time, I just used all royal icing, as I found the lemon icing to be very soft.  I was not thrilled with the consistency of this recipe for royal icing - I know that I can make flood icing cookies well, but this icing was too thick to flood well, but too thin to outline well.  Accordingly, the finished product is a little rough, but as it was after 10pm at night when I was icing them, I just kept going.

Hope Caroline likes them, despite their flaws.  

11 comments:

Kayte said...

They are adorable and she will be thrilled that you spent all the time and effort to make her such wonderful cookies for her baby shower! Love the colors...you did a fine job on them. I bet they taste wonderful.

Gloria Baker said...

Look soooo cute!!

Kari said...

These are very cute, and I love the idea of orange and lavendar. The decorating is impressive too - I have made similar shapes and decorations in the past (to celebrate the arrival of a baby :-) ) and know how tricky it is when the icing isn't just right! You did brilliantly.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Aww so cute! I love that set of cutters :)

Finla said...

So so cute an dindeed so sweet of you to make them for her.

Anne H said...

Awesome idea!I will be giving this a try very soon!!

Elaine said...

How could she not like them?! They are so very cute and you made them yourself! I have lavender in my herb and spice cupboard, but have not used it yet. It just sounds so delicious in cookies.

Anonymous said...

I plan on making decorated sugar cookies this weekend for my niece. These look great and thanks for the recipe links.

photo baby shower invites said...

Adorable baby shower goodies and stuff!

IPlayWoW said...

Those are lovely cookies for a baby shower!

Sell WoW Accounts

Johanna GGG said...

how cute and I love the flavours