Tuesday, May 15, 2012

BWJ - Pecan Sticky Buns


It's Baking with Julia time again, and this week's recipe is designed to keep dairy farmers and doctors in business, as it is dripping with butter.   The recipe is Pecan Sticky Buns, and is brought to you by our hosts, Lynn of Eat Drink Man Woman Dogs Cat and Nicole of Cookies on Friday.

If you want to make these sticky buns (recipe here), don't imagine you'll get up early and have sticky buns for breakfast - you need to start this recipe a day ahead, and even then, it takes half the day to complete.  Also make sure you have plenty of butter.  In the end, I halved the sugar and butter in the topping just to try and cut down on the calories - these are seriously dripping with butter.  There's butter in the brioche dough, butter laminated into the rolled out dough, and butter in the topping.  The result is a flaky, sweet bun, but you can smell the butter a mile off.

Although these buns took forever (or so it felt) to pull together, they were not hard to make.  Accordingly, if you fancy a sticky bun and have plenty of time on your hands, make this recipe.  If you don't have as much time, Dorie Greenspan's own pecan sticky bun recipe (online here) is pretty good and gives a similar result. 

To see what the other BWJ bakers thought of this recipe, visit the LYL section on the website. 

23 comments:

Unknown said...

I've got this book and always wanted to make this recipe (haven't got around to it!). Yes, it has a lot of butter! Good to hear that you could cut the butter and sugar in half and still get a good result!

Jill said...

They look really lovely! I'm sure they were tasty, but I was scared off by the amount of butter.

Blond Duck said...

I've always wanted to make sticky buns!

Cher Rockwell said...

This was crazy with all the butter, wasn't it? I baked mine off in two batches - just couldn't bear having them all around at the same time....
Looks good.

Johanna GGG said...

oh dear - they sound terribly rich which would be bad for me as they look so good that I know I would want to eat through heaps of them - seems like a great recipe to make!

Finla said...

Wish i had this for my breakfast. Looks super delicious

smarkies said...

it was crazy with the butter. Have never encountered a recipe which basically said: butter, butter, and more butter!
well done!

Sweet and That's it said...

Hi, with this recipe we surely gained experience (and probably weight!)
I've cheated on the butter and luckily the brioche turned out fine (it needs more salt and sugar, though).
I did not like the sticky topping, but will remake the modified brioche for sure.

Unknown said...

Your sticky buns look good! We loved these but they are not everyday food.

Unknown said...

This looks great!!! I will post about mine once they're made tonight!!!!

Kathy said...

I made mine over three days…much easier that way! Your sticky buns look lovely!

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

I'll definitely have to halve the sugar and butter next time... it was just over the top! :) Beautiful photo!

yummychunklet said...

Your buns look great! And, now I'll have to try Dorie's version.

Cindy said...

These look so yummy. I missed the date, I thought I had another week. I will make them soon.

Anonymous said...

Your buns look great! I was a bit underwhelmed with mine.

Jodie said...

These do take forever, and although they're good, I'm not convinced they're worth all the effort. Yours look fabulous!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I don't think I've ever met a sticky bun that I didn't love! :D

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

I apparently like food dripping with butter :) Yours look excellent~

Betsy said...

Your sticky buns look enticing. While I could have easily eaten these, I just couldn't bring myself to make them knowing how much butter was involved. I am admiring yours though.

Elaine said...

:) I love your comment about these keeping the dairy farms and doctors in business. I skipped this one because of the amount of butter and thought they would be a little too sweet, but I will have to make them another time. Yours look pretty.

steph- whisk/spoon said...

yes, these were definitely a project. i cut butter out too, and thought they were still pretty tasty!

Lisa said...

I'm glad I made the recipe, but probably won't make them again this way. The brioche dough I definitely plan to make again, but for sticky buns, I'll use a less-rich dough.

Kayte said...

I thought long and hard about making these because I love them...then I read and added up all the butter and realized my pool is open and it is swim suit season and I didn't really need all this sitting around tempting me and I chickened out. I have made sticky buns before, and I will make them again, but this just wasn't in the works right now. I decided I would just come over and drool at the looks of yours...yours look so wonderful!!