Tuesday, April 26, 2011

TWD - Cornmeal Shortbread Cookies


This week for Tuesday with Dorie, I was pleased to see a recipe using cornmeal, which I bought for another Dorie challenge.  Valerie, of Une Gamine dans la Cuisine, chose Dorie's Cornmeal Shortbread Cookies.

These cookies were easy enough to put together, but I think I rolled mine a little too thinly, as in the oven, they all blended together into one super cookie.  I cut the super cookie while it was still pliable so that I ended up with individual cookies.

These cookies tasted good - they are shortbread after all - but would have been better if I had left the dough a little thicker.

Thanks to Valerie for hosting us this week - she will have the recipe, or buy the book, Baking From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan.  To check out how other TWD members fared with these cookies, visit the TWD website at this week's LYL section.


19 comments:

Gloria Baker said...

Love these cookies Cakelaw look awesome and delicious! gloria

Anonymous said...

I definitely want to try these because I always have extra cornmeal in my cupboard!

Jules Someone said...

I like mine a bit thicker as well. These were very yummy!

Judy said...

I bet they still tasted delicious.

Leslie said...

Mmm, these look yummy! I haven't cut mine yet so I'll be sure to leave them a little thicker. Not that I've seen yours, I can't wait to bake mine!

Peggy said...

Yours do look like mine! I'm so glad because I thought I had done something wrong. I think yours look more uniform than mine. At any rate, they tasted really good!!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

They sound like they would have a really interesting crunchy texture to them! :)

Valerie Gamine said...

When it comes to shortbread, I think the added buttery crisp that comes with a thinner version is perfect! :D

Thanks for baking with me this week!

Joy said...

Yours are nice and golden! Great idea for cutting. It looks like the perfect snack :)

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

Love your super cookie! I always have trouble with spreading, too... it's such a pain, isn't it?? :)

natalia said...

Ciao ! I'm surprised yours spread too ! But I'm happy you enjoied them.

natalia said...

Ciao ! I'm surprised yours spread too ! But I'm happy you enjoied them.

Tia said...

they look utterly crispy and wonderful.
Buttercreambarbie

mike509 said...

These are actually good - separated or spread together! Shortbread of any kind is wonderful. I agree - the cornmeal was a nice surprise!

Mary said...

Thin or thick...this is a great cookie!

margot said...

Lol at the super cookie, they still look yummy! You can't really go wrong with shortbread, can you?

Jaime said...

haha... "super cookie" i like the sound of that :)

Nicole said...

I think my husband would like it if I made more super cookies! I liked these on the thicker side, and I was shocked at how much I liked them!

Anonymous said...

Your thin and crispy version looks good to me! I liked these a lot.