Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Banana, Date, Apricot and Pecan Tea Bread





Recently, Mr P of Delicious, Delicious, Delicious posted a recipe for Banana, Date, Apricot and Walnut Tea Bread.  It looked incredibly good, and as I had some bananas in the freezer (bananas are way too expensive to buy here at the moment because of the cyclones destroying the crops), I knew I wanted to make it.

Instead of walnuts, I used pecans, but otherwise made the tea bread as Mr P directed.  I recommend using the egg - the batter is very thick, and the egg helps to add some moisture.

The resulting tea bread can be eaten in slices without anything on it, but my favourite way to eat it was slathered with butter/margarine/Nuttelex:



Mr P has a point about dates being excellent in baked goods - try this tea bread and I am sure that you will be sold on the humble date.  Pair it with a cuppa for morning or afternoon tea - it is very satisfying and will stave off hunger until the next meal.

11 comments:

Lauren Hairston said...

Yum! I bet that would be a hit at our house!

Johanna GGG said...

that slice with butter looks so good - reminds me of the cakes my mum used to bake

Mary said...

That sounds fantastic--I seem to always make the same banana bread (my mother's), so I think I need to try a new one. I just won't tell her.
:)

Anonymous said...

Ooh, looks delicious. I bet it's a nice treat in the afternoons! Can't wait to try it, especially with the dates.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Mmm that looks great and I'm glad you added the note about slathering it with butter/Nuttelex (I love Nuttelex!)

Ivy said...

I just remembered I have two ripe bananas in the deep freezer. The cake looks delicious and now I will have to look for dates.

Lisa said...

This looks SO good, esp. the last photo! How much are bananas, then?

Elaine said...

I really enjoy making sweet bread and this one looks delicious!

Hazel - Chicken in a Cherry Sauce said...

What an interesting choice of flavours! I totally agree that pecans should be swapped with the walnuts. I have some bananas that need to be used up in a cake and this sounds like the perfect recipe for them!

Two fit and fun gals said...

looks great! thanks for sharing :O)

Anonymous said...

Wow, that sounds like a delicious combination of flavors!