Saturday, April 9, 2011

Fresh Fig Cake



Are you lucky enough to have a fig tree in your garden?  I have to laugh in the knowledge that when I was a child, the next door neighbour had an enormous fig tree that overhung our back garden, but the figs went to waste because no-one picked them, and we in fact viewed them as a nuisance, because a part of our back yard would become an unusable mess of rotting, stinking figs that had fallen from the tree into our yard.

Fast forward about 30 years, and if that tree were still there, I would be gleefully harvesting the fruit overhanging into our yard.  I adore fresh figs, and lament that the season is so short and that figs are so expensive.

For my final fig recipe using the figs given to Karen at work by the fruit man, I made a fresh fig cake from the recipe here. This cake is light and fluffy and delicious, and allows the flavour of the figs to shine.

Unfortunately, my figs largely sank into the cake, but no matter - this was a good cake.

Hope you enjoy this recipe if you try it!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks delicious! I'm always a fan of fresh fruit over dried!

cocoa and coconut said...

You know I've never tried fig, which is a shame because a lot of people rave about it. But I can admit that this cake looks great!! And it's great that it was light and fluffy..

Anonymous said...

This sounds simple and delicious. I usually have dried figs, but will have to give fresh a try if I see them at the store.

Barbara Bakes said...

It looks like a fabulous cake. Fun how things change just based on our perspective.

Ivy said...

I love figs so much. Last week when we went to Nafplio we bought some delicious Kalamata figs, becauce Kalamata is also famous for its figs as well, and have been munching a couple each day. Today I made a wonderful salad poaching them in sweet red wine. I wonder if they would work in a cake as delicious as yours?

Conor @ Hold the Beef said...

Ah it's always the way - never appreciate what you've got when you're little!

I wish I had room for a fig tree, or fig growing neighbours, but instead I loiter around the shops around this time of year, waiting for them to show up.

Beautiful springy looking cake :)

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Haha I know what you mean! If I had a neighbour that had a fig tree I'd be there every day picking some :P