Tuesday, February 19, 2019

TWD - Date-Nut Pinwheels


This week's Tuesday with Dorie challenge is Date-Nut Pinwheels.  In my case, these cookies are ironically named, because as you can see, I made square "wheels". The truck ain't goin'  nowhere this week!

These cookies comprise a brown sugar dough filled with a boiled mixture comprised chiefly of dates and walnuts.  The dough is very soft and takes a fair bit of chilling and rechilling before baking.  Unfortunately, all of that chilling did not stop my cookies from spreading like mad into each other during the baking process.  The only solution was to cut them apart, hence the square shape of my cookies.

I thought I'd love these cookies, but I found the sweetness of the filling a little overpowering. Not bad, just not something I want to make again.

 To see what the other Dorie bakers made this week and what they thought of them, visit the LYL section of the TWD website.

7 comments:

Pam said...

They sound good and look good, no matter their shape! After your review, I will cut back on sugar in the recipe. Off to her cookbook now...

Mardi Michels said...

These definitely were a bit more work than I was expecting but I'm not sure I'd make them again. With chocolate or jam in them? Maybe!

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Darn it! I remember some date pinwheels from my childhood and was hoping these would be similar!

Johanna GGG said...

Love some square pinwheels - shame the taste wasn't great

Kayte said...

Lol on your square wheels going nowhere! It’s always best to have a sense of humor about these things. Despite the shape, they look good enough to eat at least two!

Diane Zwang said...

Love your sense of humor with this one. Sorry they weren't a hit.

steph- whisk/spoon said...

hahaha- i love the square wheels joke! these were one of my faves so far, but i admit to having a big sweet tooth!