Saturday, February 23, 2019

George Banks Bistro, Toowoomba


While I was on leave over Christmas, I spent time with my family in Toowoomba, Queensland.  One of my friends and former colleagues is also from Toowoomba, and we were lucky enough to find the time to catch up with each other over the break.

My friend chose George Banks Bistro as the venue for our catch up.  George Banks is a rooftop bar and restaurant with magnificent views across the CBD:


It is very stylish and modern, and streets ahead of the types of establishment that I grew up with in Toowoomba: 


Here is one of the views from the balcony of George Banks, overlooking the street scape:


As it was a girls' day out, we both decided to have a cocktail.  Because it sounded so fabulous, we both had a Supercalifrangelisticexpialidocious - vanilla infused Belvedere, passionfruit, passoa and sparkling ($17):


I can attest to the fact that this cocktail was wonderful, and went down a treat on a hot January day.

For main, I had the Schulz pork with peach, baby leek, chilli and skordallia ($34):


This dish was absolutely delicious, with the sweet peach complementing the pork nicely, and not being too much food to handle.  My only minor issue was that the skordallia was very garlic-y and knocked my socks off a bit.  I hope that my friend could not smell my breath afterwards.

My friend ordered the Wagyu burger, with comte, spiced ketchup, smoked onion and pickles on a brioche bun ($18), served with a side of polenta chips: 


My friend also enjoyed her meal.  her only disappointment was that there was no sauce or mayo to have on the chips.

The service was friendly and efficient, and the atmosphere delightful.

I highly recommend a visit to George Banks Bistro if you are in Toowoomba - I will be back based on this experience.

George Banks Bistro
Corner Ruthven and Margaret Streets
Toowoomba Qld 4350
Ph: (07) 4580 0808 

1 comment:

Johanna GGG said...

Sounds like a lovely catch up - though you do make me wonder what sort of places you grew up with - maybe just a pie with sauce at the local milk bar :-)