Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Baked chicken and peaches with Dijon sauce


For a bit of variety, today I thought I'd post a savoury dish.  The last of the summer fruits are still around here, so I have been trying to incorporate them into my cooking and baking as much as possible.  Cue this dish - Baked Chicken and Peaches with Dijon Sauce from the January-February 2019 Woolworths Fresh magazine.

I know that not everyone is a fan of fruit and meat together, but I am not one of those people.  Give me some mustard flavoured fruits in a rich thick sauce any day.  I recommend using ripe peaches in this dish as you will taste the sour if they are underripe.  I also recommend not using clingstone peaches, because you need to halve and de-stone the fruit, and clingstone peaches are a right pain to de-stone.

Make yourself some rice or other carb-rich side dish to soak up the delicious sauce from this chicken, because believe me, you won't want to waste it.

If you fancy giving this dish a go, you will need:

1 tablespoon olive oil
600g chicken thigh fillets, halved crossways
1 finely chopped brown onion
3 yellow peaches, halved and de-stoned
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 cup chicken stock
2 tablespoons thyme leaves

Preheat your oven to 160 degrees Celsius.  Heat the oil in an ovenproof casserole dish on the stovetop.  Season the chicken to taste with salt and pepper and brown in the casserole dish on the stovetop.  Transfer the browned chicken to a plate.

Add the onion to the casserole dish and cook over medium heat until softened.  Add the peaches, sugar, mustard, vinegar and chicken stock, and bring the mixture to the boil, stirring from time to time.

Add the chicken back to the casserole dish with the thyme and bring the mixture to a simmer.  Transfer the casserole dish to the preheated oven and bake for 25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.  

Serve with veges and rice.

This makes a relatively quick and delicious dinner, and makes great use of fresh peaches.

5 comments:

Mae Travels said...

What would I give for a tree-ripe peach right now! (Today's prediction: sleet, freezing rain, snow, etc)

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

The sauce looks so good. And I agree, clingstone peaches are a pain. I wish I knew how to tell hte difference when buying them.

ClaudiaMorningstar said...

I love duet meat and fruit.

Cakelaw said...

Me too!

Cakelaw said...

I don’t know how either - I got lucky this time around.