Tuesday, March 20, 2018

TWD - Sunny-Side-Up Meringues


This week's Tuesday with Dorie recipe is Sunny-Side-Up Meringues.  They are so called because they look like fried eggs.

These meringues are baked with a cavity formed with your finger in the middle, and the cavity is filled with Citrus Curd.  I even made Dorie's Mixed Citrus Curd because I had an orange I had bought for something else just for the skin, so it seemed a shame to waste it (it cost the princely sum of $1.50!). The curd recipe makes two Bon Mamon sized jars of curd.  This is quite a lot of curd for someone like me and there are lots of leftovers.

There is not much else to say about these - they are easy to make, although a little time consuming (1 1/2 hours baking and 2 hours cooling in the oven).  The sharpness of the curd cuts nicely through the tooth aching sweetness of the meringue.

To see what everyone else made this week, visit the LYL section of the TWD website.

13 comments:

Johanna GGG said...

these look so cute - love the name! and there is a recipe for mini cheesecakes that uses lemon curd in the latest coles magazine - I remember it because the recipe looked cute but I thought I never have curd!

Mardi Michels said...

Yours are actually PERFECT! I halved the recipe (of course) and even 1/2 the curd made a lot!

Cakelaw said...

I will have to seek out that recipe - two jars of curd - yikes!

Cakelaw said...

Yes, it certainly did.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

These are not only cute but I know they'd be delicious with the meringue and tangy curd! :D

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

These are so cute. I'm not a fan of real eggs sunny-side up, but meringues are another story!! Delicious!

The Happy Whisk said...

Fun size!

Kari said...

These sound fiddly but incredibly fun! They look very cute.

Pam said...

Cool name for sure! And I bet they're fun to make and really delicious to eat!

Diane Zwang said...

It does make a lot of curd but my husband loves it. He spreads it on muffins. I have made some poppy seed muffins with curd on the inside, you might try making those to use it up.

Summer said...

They look delicious and adorable. I bet you’ll find some uses for that yummy orange curd.

steph- whisk/spoon said...

yours are adorable! very egg-like...mine, not so much. but still delicious!

Cakelaw said...

Thanks Diane, I may do that.