Sunday, April 19, 2015

Masons of Bendigo


On our recent trip to Bendigo, we had a wonderful dinner at Masons of Bendigo, on the recommendation of my work colleague, Wayne.  We had a sneak preview of Masons on our Food Fossicking Tour earlier in the day, and it certainly heightened our anticipation of dinner at Masons in the evening.

Masons is very popular, and we were told on our tour that you have to book at least two weeks in advance.  I had booked a month in advance, so that part was taken care of.  As I mentioned in my post on the food fossicking tour, Masons has an open kitchen so that you can watch your meal being prepared.  Masons prides itself on its use of local produce which it highlights in its fusion style menu.  There are two dinner sittings at Masons - 6pm and 8pm.  We went for the earlier sitting - I would be so hungry if I had to wait until 8!

On arrival at Masons, we are presented with a plate of bread with miso butter:



The bread was delicious, and the miso butter was devine.

Next, our drinks arrived.  I ordered a glass of red:


and Tim ordered a local Tooborac beer:

 
Then came the good stuff - Tim and I ordered two entrees to share.
 
First up came seared Hervey Bay scallops, curried cauliflower, salmon caviar, coriander vinaigrette and squid ink crackers ($14 for 3, we bought an extra scallop):


This was my dish of the night - just heavenly.

Next came steamed sticky beef buns with shitaki mushrooms and pun chun sauce ($8 for 2):


No complaints here:


For main, Tim ordered the Beijing roast duck red curry, with caramelised pineapple, okra and puffed rice ($30):


with a side of jasmine rice:


while I ordered the baked barramundi with sweet and sour calamari salad, peanuts and yellow curry ($32):


Both mains were top notch, and we enjoyed them very much.

To finish off, we could not go past the Masons Tasting Plate ($26) - vanilla and peach brulee, Eskimo pie, yoghurt pannacotta with passionfruit gel, choc-hazelnut delice, baked cheesecake, Yuzu curd and tapioca pot with summer fruits, pomegranate icecream and Persian fairy floss:  


It was all pretty good, but I think my favourite was the pannacotta.

The service at Masons was very friendly and efficient, and Tim was chuffed that Nick, the owner, remembered him from the food fossicking tour earlier in the day.

We would definitely return to Masons when we are next in Bendigo.

25 Queen Street
Bendigo VIC 3550
Ph: (03) 5443 3877

2 comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I like the Asian take on some of these dishes! The food looks great, especially for cold nights :)

Kayte said...

Oh. My. Goodness. I think this is my favorite place so far of all the places you have reviewed. This looks FABULOUS!