Thursday, December 5, 2013

Celebration Fruit Cake - Australian Womens Weekly recipe


I made my Christmas Cake in September this year to give it some time to mature.  The recipe that I chose is from the Australian Women's Weekly Christmas Food and Craft, dubbed "Celebration Fruit Cake".  You can also find the recipe online here

I liked the fact that there were no nuts in this fruit cake recipe, as the nuts tend to make the cake crumble when you cut it.  I intend to ice the cake with marzipan and fondant and cut it into pieces as part of my annual Christmas gift boxes.

When I opened the cake up for the first time this week, it smelt very reassuringly boozy, so I hope that is a good sign.  I haven't been "feeding" the cake as the recipe does not require it.  I am also very happy with the colour - I like my fruit cake to be dark.

I also decided to ice my cake with marzipan and fondant, decorated with fondant stars and dusted with gold lustre dust:



I did an Italian Christmas baking course at Gewurzhaus last weekend, which has given me some other Christmas baking ideas.  We made these two tone shortbread stars:


and mini panettone:



among other things.

Are you making food as gifts this year?  And if so, what are your favourite food gifts to make?

6 comments:

~~louise~~ said...

In all the years I have been making gifts for Christmas, I am yet to make a fruitcake. If and when I do, it must be boozy, lol...

I'm really intrigued by that two tone shortbread. How festive! I love shortbread, however, I very rarely bake it. I may just need to make some for gifts this year. Thanks for the inspiration, Cakelaw:)

2paw said...

Oh, that's a lovely cake, I didn't realise it was the nuts that made the fruit crumble. I always make a Bishop's Cake and lots of different biscuits and gingerbread cake and confectionery too. I love Christmas baking!!!
I want to try proper mincemeat that lasts a year next year.....

yummychunklet said...

Great looking Christmas cake!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I love the smell of Christmas cake! And the taste too but the smell is what entices me :)

Johanna GGG said...

your cake looks delicious - I haven't made one this year but might make mince tarts - mainly thinking gingerbread and chocolates for christmas gifts - love the beatles decoration too - sylvia would love it

Kari said...

I haven't decided what to make as food gifts yet, but I am having fun thinking about it! Congratulations on your Christmas cake too.