Saturday, March 17, 2012

Fresh Fig Pie


Continuing on my journey of ways with figs, courtesy of our work fruit man, I decided to make a fig pie.  On the Internet, I was spoiled for choice with fig pie recipes, but had to carefully side-step the dried fig pies to get to the fresh fig pie recipes.

I eventually settled on what seemed the simplest fresh fig pie recipe that I could find, courtesy of Nancie McDermott of Piedmont, North Carolina.  Her recipe is here. You need a lot of figs (4 cupfuls) to make this pie, which can be hideously expensive if you have to buy the figs at the market, but I had a plentiful supply of lovely free figs, and this pie was perfect to ensure I could use them up.

Nancie doesn't supply a pie crust recipe, so I used Dorie Greenspan's Good for Almost Anything pie dough made with all butter and no shortening.  The butter makes the pastry more crumbly hence more difficult to work with, but I don't ever buy shortening, so I used what I had to hand.

I also forgot the lemon juice and butter in the pie filling, as I received a phone call as I was rolling out the top crust, which put me off my game.  It didn't seem to make any difference to the final flavour, and saved on some calories from even more butter.

And the verdict?  My colleague Lee said the pie was "sublime" and "superb", and she liked the cinnamon in the filling.  For me, that says it all - go make one!

13 comments:

yummychunklet said...

What a great looking pie! And, good for you in using a fresh fig pie recipe.

Unknown said...

Yuuuuuuuummy!

Unknown said...

Free fresh figs! Lucky you! This pie does indeed look "sublime"!

Gloria Baker said...

awesome! I love this but still we dont have figs :( I think soon!!!

Jill said...

Sounds wonderful! I had good luck with that pie crust and would make it again.

Johanna GGG said...

sounds very decadent - did you need a dollop of cream with it or did you eat it straight?

Amy (Savory Moments) said...

I love figs and definitely don't cook with them enough. This looks delicious!

Cakelaw said...

Hi Johanna, ate it straight up because I took it to work.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I like the look of the pastry-a crumbly one would be so good with the cinnamon and fig filling! :D

Elaine said...

That looks so good! With all the figs we were able to get off our fig trees when I was growing up, I don't remember my mom making a fig pie. Hmm....I would like to try making this with some Mission figs.

Daisy@Nevertoosweet said...

Ohhh i've never made anything with figs at home :) But i really should try! Figs are so sweet and lovely ~ Gonna put it in my 'must make' list hehe

Kayte said...

I've never had a fig pie but we love figs and we love pie, so it seems I should somehow put them together come fig season here...yours looks wonderful.

Lucas @ CoverVersions.tv said...

Figs seemed to be all the rage at the Eveleigh markets the week before last. Had I seen this I would have loaded up.