Sunday, April 7, 2013

MoVida Next Door and Pop Up Patch, Melbourne




One Friday evening, Tim and I decided to go for a treat and dine at MoVida Next Door, the little cousin to MoVida, the Spanish tapas restaurant right next door in Hosier Lane.  We didn't have a booking (and I now know we can't book there) but were lucky to squeeze in when we arrived just after 5.30pm.

MoVida next door is also a tapas establishment, making it a perfect place to order a variety of dishes to share.  The menu has a number of always available dishes off the menu, and a large and bewildering variety of dishes on the blackboards above the bar that you will need to discuss with your waiter.

We started off with an almond soup with grape granita (on menu when we visited but now removed):  


This cold soup was an interesting concept, but it did not appeal to me taste-wise that much.

Next, we ordered bomba (pictured at the top of this post and below) ($4.80)  - chorizo-filled, mashed potato "bombs" with spicy sauce, which resemble fried eggs in appearance:



These bomba were very good indeed, and I could have gone seconds quite easily.

We followed the bomba up with gambas - garlic prawns off the blackboard:



These prawns were sticky and very tasty, but were our most expensive pick at $24 for 4 prawns.

One of my favourite dishes was one of the regular menu items, the remolacha ($12.50):


This dish comprises a salad of beetroot, goats curd, pickled garlic and honey roasted walnuts.  I adored each element of the dish, and both Tim and I thought that the honey roasted walnuts were devine - you could eat them by the handful on their own.

Our final dish was off the blackboard - sardines with heirloom tomatoes:



This was a light, tasty dish, and the sardines were not at all oily or cloying.

All up, our meal cost $94 for two with a glass of alcohol each.  While that is a little too exxy for every day dining, it was nice for a treat, and I'd definitely go back again for the great food and the very friendly and knowledgeable staff.

After our early dinner at Movida Next Door, Tim and I strolled across the road to check out the Pop Up Patch behind Federation Square:  



The pop up patch is an organic community garden where for the sum of $25 a week, you can grow your own veges in the special "no dig" patches:




Many people have kitted out their patches with scarecrows, garden ornaments and identity signs for the plants, so it really was a fun place to visit.

Hope you had a good weekend!


Movida Next Door
164 Flinders Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
Ph: 61 3 9663 3038

11 comments:

Kari said...

I am in love with the concept of the pop up patch! Very cool. It looks like you had a great meal at Movida Next Door too.

Unknown said...

I love seeing what you guys eat in a Spanish restaurant there, it's very interesting, to tell u the truth I've only eaten the sardines and the prawn, I've seen the bomba, the remolacha in another way and I think I've had something similar to the almond soup but not entirely sure, anyway thanks for sharing!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I haven't been to Movida in Melbourne for a while but the dishes do sound good. The bombe in particularly caught my attention! :)

The Caked Crusader said...

Oh yum! The bomba look amazing

Anonymous said...

Those prawns do look delicious!

Mary Hirsch said...

I'm glad I waited until Sunday night to read your FFWD Post because I certainly enjoyed your Post about your evening out at MoVida Next Door,. Have never heard of a mashed-potato bomb. The remolacha interested me primarily because I love beets and that sounds as if with goat cheese and the honey roasted walnuts, it would be delicious. I am trying to evolve a beet salad using which I also think would taste delicious and be nutty.

Blond Duck said...

I'd love to go there!

Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

This restaurant looks fantastic :D

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

Anonymous said...

I'd like to invite you again to the CookEatShare Author Network. I don’t want the over 1 million unique monthly visitors to CookEatShare.com to miss out on your wonderful food.


By joining our Author Network, your blog posts will be indexed and users will be guided to your actual blog when searching your recipes or profile.

The service is free and easy to sign up for. Simply visit www.cookeatshare.com/blogs/apply or contact me at Kyra@cookeatshare.com. You'll get a unique link to claim and customize your profile. We look forward having you in our network!

Kayte said...

Oh, I just love it when you go out on the town and take photos and write about it! The food looks marvelous, of course. Never heard of Pop Up Patches before, so that was a fun new thing to learn.

Elaine said...

The pop up patch is such a great concept! All your dishes look fabulous especially those bombs. I also think the almond soup sounds interesting, but I am not sure I would like it either. It sounds like you had a special treat that day!