Wednesday, January 26, 2022

WWDH - Vanilla Cupcakes with Vanilla Buttercream Icing


 Today is Wednesday with Donna Hay so I am joining in for a change. My brother asked for cupcakes so I thought it was an opportune way to make another Donna recipe.

These cupcakes are from Donna’s Modern Classics Book 2. I combined the cupcakes from one recipe with a half batch of her buttercream recipe. The cupcake recipe is unusual in that everything is dumped into  the bowl at once and beaten until smooth and creamy. I was a bit worried about the batter getting tough but I went with it.

I am yet to try one of these cupcakes, so I am unsure of the flavour outcome. However, the texture seems ok - not tough or rubbery, so that’s a revelation. [Update - these cakes are good - not tough at all despite the unorthodox method.]

To make these cupcakes, you will need;

125g softened butter
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius and line or grease a 12 hole muffin tin.

Put all of the ingredients into a bowl and beat until pale and smooth.

Divide the batter evenly between the muffin tin holes and bake for 18-20 minutes.

Turn the cooked cupcakes out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

Once cool, ice them with buttercream made by beating 125g butter until smooth and creamy; sift in 1/2 cup icing sugar and beat until smooth and blended; beat in 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and colouring (optional).

6 comments:

Kayte said...

These look so great...all those sprinkles just say party and celebration, whether it is one or not! I don't have Modern Classics 2, one of the few of hers I don't have actually, as I wasn't sure I needed to bake all those things in there, but maybe I do. lol This is such a pretty picture.

Cakelaw said...

Thanks Kayte. They are very easy to make.

Nancy/n.o.e said...

I tried unsuccessfully to comment from my phone, and now I don’t remember my pearls of wisdom! The cupcakes look delicious, and I’m glad they were a hit.

Cakelaw said...

Thanks Nancy!

TeaLady said...

Pretty cuppies! I love making them. So easy to eat.

TeaLady said...

Can never go wrong with a cupcake. B would love these.