Thursday, October 24, 2019

Rhubarb, Rosewater & Custard Tart


Rhubarb and custard is such a classic combination.  As a child, I didn't like the slightly bitter edge of rhubarb's taste, but as an adult, I can appreciate it against sweeter background notes, and I adore its gorgeous ruby red colour.

A little while ago, the New Zealand Cuisine magazine newsletter featured a recipe for Rhubarb, Rosewater and Custard Tart.  It sounded too good to pass up, so I duly made it.


The rhubarb is roasted in the oven, and in the original, it is used to top a custard tart, which is baked separately.  I decided to embed my rhubarb in the tart instead, so I cut it more finely than in the recipe.  Although not as pretty as having the rhubarb separately on top, I think it turned out well:  


To make this tart, you will need:

500g rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 2cm pieces
200g sugar
1 teaspoon rosewater
300ml milk
125ml cream
4 eggs, 1 separated 
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 x 23cm tart shell, unbaked 

Preheat your oven to 200 degrees Celsius.

Put the rhubarb into a baking dish and sprinkle with 75g of sugar.

Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the rhubarb is soft.  

Remove the rhubarb from the oven and sprinkle it with the rosewater.

Put the milk and cream and heat it until just before it boils.  

In a large bowl, whisk together the 3 whole ggs, the yolk from the separated egg, the remaining 125g of sugar, the vanilla and the salt.  Whisking continuously, slowly trickle the hot milk into the egg mixture until well combined.

Brush the bottom and the sides of the unbaked tart shell with egg white and put it into the oven for one minute to set, then remove it from the oven.  

Put the rhubarb into the base of the tart shell, them pour the custard on top.

Put the tart into the oven for 20-25 minutes to bake, or until set and slightly wobbly in the centre.

Remove the tart from the oven and allow to cool to room temperature on a wire rack.


Slice and serve!  I did not use all of the rhubarb in the tart, so I served the tart with some extra roasted rhubarb on the side and a little cream.

2 comments:

Johanna GGG said...

I love how you baked the rhubarb in your tart - I haven't cooked with it enough lately but I love it when I do and would love this tart

Merryn@merrynsmenu said...

This is the prettiest rhubarb tart I have ever seen. Rhubarb is growing so I will file this one for later.