Tuesday, June 19, 2018

TWD - Swedish Visiting Cake Bars


This week's Tuesday with Dorie (Dorie's Cookies) recipe is Swedish Visiting Cake Bars.  These are a riff on Dorie's Swedish Visiting Cake.  I could not remember making the cake, but I am in awe of how bad my photos were when I made it!

In essence, these bars comprise an almond flavoured cake topped with a crunchy almond meringue topping.  They are tasty without being ostentatious.  I also liked that they were relatively simple to make.

I chose to cut my bars into triangles as suggested by Dorie, so I got twice as many bars for my effort.  That way, there was more to go around, and the size of the square bar was quite large. 

To see what everyone else made this week, visit the LYL section of the TWD website

8 comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I love Swedish baked goods. They're delicious and a bit homely too!

sanya smith said...

I really wanted to try these however with nut allergies in the house it just was not going to happen! I think they look really good and I will just try and imagine how they tasted:)

Diane Zwang said...

We really liked these too. This is my first Swedish Visiting Cake. I still need to make the one from her BFMHTY.

steph- whisk/spoon said...

i like looking at my old photos sometimes just to shake my head at myself. haha. i really enjoyed these cake bars, too. they were good with coffee.

Cakelaw said...

Yep, it is funny to look at some of those photos.

Johanna GGG said...

you know you are a long term blogger when you can look back at your old photos and shake your head in horror :-) I love these photos - they look delicious with the crunchy nutty topping

Kari said...

I shake my head at many of my photos too!

These sound delicious :-)

Mardi Michels said...

These really were good, weren't they? I love the look of them cut into triangles like this!