Tuesday, January 10, 2017

TWD - Granola Cake



For my first Tuesday with Dorie recipe this month, I made the Granola Cake.  Dorie describes it as a snack cake, and I think that is a good description.  It reminds me of a big muesli bar or Anzac slice, as it contains granola (muesli).

Dorie said beware of using granola with hard chunks of dried fruit, but as that is all I had, I used it, and I think it turned out fine.  I found this cake to be surprisingly moist, despite the thickness of the batter.  I read Dorie's instruction to "jiggle the pan" to settle the batter, and thought "huh?"  That batter was not budging without some persuasion with a spatula.

This cake would be great for school or work lunch boxes, as it packs a satisfying chewiness and is not at all fussy.  However, as Dorie suggests, you can always jazz it up by putting a slice on a plate with a scoop of icecream!

To see what the others made this week and what they thought, visit the LYL section of the TWD website.

13 comments:

Mardi (eat. live. travel. write.) said...

I LOVED this but you are right - it was SUCH a thick batter! Mine was a little on the dense side but we loved it. I'll be making it again very soon, I think!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I think Mr NQN might like this for long cycling trips for dense energy! :D

Johanna GGG said...

sounds like a nice healthy cake for the new year! I would love to try it with home made granola

Kara said...

I have granola with fruit in it that I want to use, so I'm glad that it seems it worked for you!

Kari said...

This really intrigues me as I can't quite imagine Anzac biscuits or muesli bars in cake form - but as I like both I am sure I would like this!

Diane Zwang said...

I am looking forward to making this. Good to know about the thick batter. My husband thinks everything tastes better with ice cream.

Kayte said...

You make this sound so interesting, both in technique and taste, that I will pull out my book and make a small one for this weekend. It sounds good to me.

flour.ish.en said...

Granola cake or bar. Easy to carry on the go, as you suggested. I should consider making this.

Pam said...

This sounds delicious to me and is a must try. Love the chewiness, thanks for the recipe!

Summer said...

You made me laugh out loud with your description of the stubborn batter. I've read other bakers' accounts of it being rather stiff too. Your cake looks and sounds beautifully moist and yummy.

Teresa said...

My batter was the same. I was a little worried that it was because I used unsweetened muesli instead of granola, but it worked out perfectly. A couple of people described it as similar to a blondie batter and I agree.

2paw said...

That sounds perfect for a lunch box or a snack at home. Now you have made me hungry!!

kitchen flavours said...

You are right about the batter which just refuse to budge when jiggle! A sturdy spatula to the rescue!
This cake makes the perfect snack bar, great to munch anytime of the day!