Saturday, August 1, 2015

WIAFK (CB) - Boston Mackerel au Vin Blanc



Our Weekend in a French Kitchen (Cafe Boulud) dish this week is Boston Mackerel au Vin Blanc.  Essentially, this is mackerel fillets pickled in white wine that has been flavoured with spices.  This was not what I envisaged from the title of the dish, so I was a little disappointed when I went to make it.

I bought two mackerel from the fishmonger:


and had the not fun task of gutting and filleting them - and I made a bit of a hack job.  The hot pickling mixture is poured over the raw mackerel fillets, and the fish are left overnight to pickle.

The end result is pictured at the top of the post, on toast spread with tomato relish (Kayte, look away!).  I ate it for breakfast and it was fine, though not a repeat - pickled fish are not exactly my thing.

To see what the other Cafe Boulud cooks thought of this dish, visit the LYL section of the website.


10 comments:

Peggy said...

Im just so impressed that you made this! I just could not do pickled fish!

Pam said...

Sounds good to me, except for the gutting! :-)

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Oh what a shame! I was thinking that this sounded really good!

Tammy said...

Look at you! I didn't make this this week ... couldn't find mackerel (didn't look real hard!) and I'm sure it's not my thing, either!

Joan said...

Way to go. I'm afraid I skipped this one, just not into pickled fish and I'm sure I wouldn't have been able to find mackerel anyway.

Kayte said...

Uh oh, fish touching bread and tomatoes! Lol. You are such a good sport buying whole fish and gutting them and pickling them. I don't know, I was considering making the accompanying potatoes but never in my wildest dreams was I going to follow through with the whole mackerel deal. I'm just not French enough! You did good!!

Cindy said...

Yay! I'm glad you made this recipe too. I didn't have to gut my fish, but did have to cut the whole thing up myself....yeah, not my favorite cooking task! I'm impressed that you are it for breakfast.

Alice said...

I'm waiting on my mackerel to pickle... did you enjoy the potato salad with it??

Christy @ Confessions of a Culinary Diva said...

Couldn't find a proper mackerel, sardine or other sort of baity fish to pickle - or the wine to pair with it. Bravo to you!

Alice said...

at least you gave it a shot! :) I loved this one particularly, but I cut mine into smaller pieces and had it with crackers rather than over the potato salad that was suggested. :)