Saturday, April 30, 2011

A Neb At Nut Roast II - Cheesy Nut Roast



My fellow Melburnian, Johanna of Green Gourmet Giraffe, is hosting an event called A Neb At Nut Roast.  Johanna has challenged us to make a nut roast and post about it by 5 May 2011. 

I personally had never made a nut roast before.  My sole experience and knowledge of nut roasts is the Christmas sequence in the film, About A Boy, where Toni Collette's slightly unhinged mother character serves a nut roast for Christmas dinner, as she and her son are vegetarian.




I chose to make Johanna's cheesy nut loaf, made of vegetables, nuts, cheese and rice, as I could not find a recipe for nut roast in my own recipe books, and this sounded like a nice introduction to nut roasts.  Here are a few of the ingredients:







The nut roast was easy to make - I recommend having a food processor to grind the nuts yourself, or else buy the nuts pre-ground.

I served my nut roast with steamed veges and tomato sauce - and it tasted pretty good, as well as looking very colourful, and was quite filling:



I see no reason why I wouldn't make nut roast again.  It seems like a fairly healthy alternative to meat, is easy to make, and there are lots of variations out there.

Thanmks to Johanna for hosting this event and for introducing me to something that I may not have otherwise been motivated to try.

7 comments:

Lauren Hairston said...

I've never had nut loaf, either. It looks good, though!

Johanna GGG said...

Thanks for the nut roast - excited you tried it and liked it - didn't remember it in About a Boy but I love that film - it is a great dish to have on hand for a filling meat free meal and this is a good yummy one

Anonymous said...

This definitely looks like a great alternative to a meat dish!

Unknown said...

I've never tasted a nut roast, though I think I'd like it. Somehow I'd have to make it a little less healthy though LOL.
*kisses* HH

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of a nut roast! It looks good though!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Hehe it's funny that you mention About A Boy because Mr NQN is convinced parts of that movie are about him (excepting the suicidal mother and the dead duck) :P

torwen said...

That's a lovely nutroast and very summer-ish for the colours alone.
I, too, didn't remeber the scene in the movie, so I will watch it again :)
Thanks for sharing!