Tuesday, June 25, 2024

TWD - Strawberry-Rhubarb Squares

This week’s Tuesday with Dorie recipe is Strawberry-Rhubarb Squares. It’s summer in the US, so this recipe is a great way to showcase summer fruit. It’s winter here, so I am enjoying summer vicariously through baking.



 This is a delicious cake which has a high proportion of fruit to cake. The fruit is not sugared so its tartness contrasts with the sweet honey and buttermilk cake.

I found the batter challenging to spread over the recommended 9” pan - it is only a thin layer and it takes quite a bit of work to make it cover the pan.

This cake was delicious served with a dollop of Greek yoghurt.

To see what everyone else made this week and their thoughts about it, visit the LYL section of the TWD website.

3 comments:

Kayte said...

Oh, this looks beautiful and it's fun to think of you extending summer by making and eating it. It was a thin layer of batter, I thought I had done something wrong at first but others said the same so I carried on and it turned out great...loved the tartness of the rhubarb and that it didn't have a lot of sugar. I wasn't sure I was going to try that jelly roll cake but when I saw yours last week I knew I was going to change my mind as yours looked so good. I didn't make it to the store to get lemon curd so I used homemade strawberry jam instead and that was tasty. Great photo of your cake.

Anonymous said...

We baked this strawberry-rhubarb squares in the same week at Tuesday with Dorie. The big difference is the season: summer for us and winter for you. Judging from the cake, yours looks just as summery as mine. I had a hard time finding rhubarb, and it does not seem like you have the same issue? By the way, a great looking cake! ~ Shirley

Judy said...

Your cake looks lovely -- very summer-y!