Tuesday, December 11, 2018

TWD - Speculoos



This week's Tuesday with Dorie recipe is Speculoos, a spicy European biscuit that happens to be perfect for Christmas.

Dorie's recipe suggests simply slicing and baking these biscuits, which is exactly what I did, although you could also roll out the dough and cut out the biscuits.

Before slicing my biscuit dough logs, I brushed them with egg wash and rolled them in gold sanding sugar.  I think it added to the festive nature of these spicy cookies, and I added them to this year's Christmas boxes as an efficiency so that I didn't have to bake extra biscuits for the boxes.

I thought these Speculoos biscuits were rather tasty (I ate the gnarly offcuts from the ends of the dough logs).

To see what everyone else made this week and what they thought of it, visit the LYL section of the TWD website.

8 comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Is the recipe super crispy? I love speculoos but haven't been able to replicate that snappy, crispy texture.

Johanna GGG said...

these sound like a great addition to christmas boxes - I always love hearing about your Christmas boxes

Cakelaw said...

Alas, no - these are not particularly crispy, but maybe rolling out the dough rather than slicing it would make them more so.

Cakelaw said...

I love planning them each year.

Pam said...

Yum! They sound and look delicious. I've got all my cookies baked and delivered all around, but just might have to get out her cookbook and make these! Thanks!

Mardi Michels said...

Definitely rolling and cutting makes the texture more authentic but I like the way yours look!

Diane Zwang said...

I like your idea of the sanding sugar. Cookie boxes are a fun holiday treat.

Isthisakeeper said...

I did the sanding sugar the same way you did on my first log, but yours seemed to turn out prettier! Good job!