Tuesday, November 14, 2017

TWD - Brown Sugar Tart


For Tuesday with Dorie this week, I made Brown Sugar Tart.  As described by Dorie, it is like pecan pie filling without the pecans plus bacon.


As Dorie also mentioned, this tart is sweet - super sweet.

The jury is out for me on this tart.  I didn't like it while still slightly warm - it was very egg custardy at that stage.  Once cold or room temperature, this tart was OK, although the bacon in it was not my favourite thing.  You need something to take away from the toothe-aching sweetness of the filling, but I am not sure that bacon is my preference for doing so.

This one was also not a favourite with the punters at work, and a few forlorn pieces were still left when I headed for home.

To see what the others baked this week, and what they thought of it, visit the LYL section of the TWD website.

9 comments:

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Yeah, I think I'd rather have the pecans back in and the bacon out! It's nice to have workmates to help taste test, too :)

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

It sounds a bit unusual doesn't it! I'd still give it a try if it were offered to me but perhaps not try to bake it.

Johanna GGG said...

Sounds interesting but I am not sure it is for me (even if I did some sort of vegetarian bacon) but I think it does open up some interesting ideas.

2paw said...

The people at work have spoken......

Mardi (eat. live. travel. write.) said...

I didn't use bacon, minified it (surprise!) and liked it well enough but the crust I felt didn't need fully baking BEFORE it was baked with the filling - it was just a little overdone for my liking (but I know Dorie likes things really well baked so...). Sorry this wasn't a hit - I knew with bacon it wouldn't be for me either...

Margrèt Jóhanna said...

For me it was too dark. My mom liked it very much since she does not like nuts. It was a bit like a pecan pie missing the pecans

Zosia said...

It definitely needed something to temper the sweetness....pecans sound like the best choice.

Diane Zwang said...

Hum, disappointing. I am making this for a party but without the bacon as I have no pork eaters. Maybe I should serve with whipped cream to cut the sweetness?

Kari said...

I did a double take when I read there was bacon in it! I've not heard of that before. I guess it would cut through the sweetness.