Monday, September 2, 2013

Honey Biscuits





Do you like receiving junk mail?  I know some people who loathe it, and certainly some of the brochures and flyers that I get are not of the slightest interest to me.  However, sometimes you get a few gems, and I always like getting the supermarket specials brochures.  I also pick up the free supermarket magazines at the end of the checkout, not for the advertising, but for the recipes that they contain.

In the August edition of the Woolworths checkout magazine,  I found a terrific, simple recipe for honey biscuits.  These are easy enough that the kids can make them with a little adult assistance when using the stove and the oven.  Even better, they taste great!

The recipe says it makes 35 biscuits, but I made something like 24 biscuits - and they were not very big.    To make these delicious bikkies, you will need:

80g butter
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 cups self raising flour
pinch of salt
1 egg
1/2 cup white sugar

Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius, and line 2 large cookie trays with baking paper. 

Melt the butter and honey together in a saucepan over medium heat, and leave to cool a little. 

Add the flour, salt and beaten egg to the mixture and combine until you have a soft, non-sticky dough.  Roll walnut sized balls of dough in the sugar, and place on the baking trays.  Flatten the tops of the balls lightly with a fork.

Bake the biscuits in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden.  Remove the biscuits from the oven and cool on the trays.

Finally, I wanted to share with you this spectacular skyline near my home that I photographed last Wednesday evening:

 
Aren't the colours amazing?  Enjoy.

5 comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

What beautiful colours! And the honey biscuits sound SO good! :D

Kari said...

I love junk mail :-) Or at least, I love supermarket magazines and store brochures - not so much the things trying to sell me a house down the street or convince me I need my gutters cleaned. I actually saw this recipe and admired it and am pleased to see it turns out so well!

Andrea_TheKitchenLioness said...

The recipe for the Honey Biscuits sounds delightful - I love to use honey for my baking and these look quite delicious! How fun that you found the recipe in a checkout magazinne!
And, yes, the skyline does look spectacular!

The Caked Crusader said...

I'm really into my honey at the moment so find these very tempting

Kayte said...

Honey biscuits recipe sounds easy and delicious. Thanks for sharing. Photo of sunset near your home is very beautiful.